Crazy Coriolis Question

pool1999

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 2, 2011
727-Florida
Ok, so me and a few friends were having a some :cheers: last night and the question of the Coriolis Effect came up in regards to pool care. The question was " Do you try to rotate all the water in the pool with the return jets pointed in a clock wise or counter clock wise direction and would the Coriolis effect give the entire pool water a "push" in the clockwise direction?" or " would this only have any effect if you were draining the pool with the main drain? " I know its a crazy/slightly foolish question, but none of us have pool care experience so it went unanswered.

I'd say you had a few too many! :mrgreen:

It doesn't matter which way you decide for the water to go. You aim the eyeball(s) that direction and it'll go that way. Draining with the MD won't cause enough of an effect that you can tell as it's orders of magnitude smaller than the pool volume so the coriolis effect won't move that much water until you get almost empty.

You are correct in that we had a few to many.......we painted my back yard with yellow spray paint because we wanted to see how the pool would look ( the dig and pool delivery are Thursday) and ended up sitting in the "pool" most of the night.....oh my aching head :hammer:

Thank you for your response, i was almost to embarrassed to ask,lol

I have pondered and discussed the Coriolis Effect with friends many times and have never, NEVER felt very good the next morning.

So, do toilets in the Southern hemisphere swirl opposite those in the Northern hemisphere when flushed?

Dave S Speakes the truth........there are mysteries in the universe that only seem to come up when margaritas are involved.

Dave J is making me want to go jump into my Spray Painted Lawn pool again :lol: It looks like a gang of pool hooligans tagged my back yard.

The Coriolis effect with respects to bathtubs and toilets (and pools) is a myth. The effect is so small that it doesn't effect bodies of water smaller than an ocean and of course it effects hurricanes.

duraleigh said:
So, do toilets in the Southern hemisphere swirl opposite those in the Northern hemisphere when flushed?
I've never noticed a difference. Last time I was south of the equator, I made it a point to check. The toilet still flushed counter-clockwise :? I was disappointed :cry:

The effect is so small that it doesn't effect bodies of water smaller than an ocean
Last time I was south of the equator, I made it a point to check. The toilet still flushed counter-clockwise
Double Bummer!! Next, you'll be tellin' me the Abominable Snowman isn't real. Obviously, you have never seen "Harry and the Hendersons"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure, it has some effect. You can even measure the effect at home if you are very careful. However, other effects dominate what happens. If there is any spin to the water at all before you start draining that spin will almost certainly be much larger than what the Coriolis contribution will be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.