Replace motor or whole new schebang?

J

JoseJones

STA-RITE Pump motor only clicks when timer goes on. A couple calls around Northern California Bay Area leads me to just want to replace the motor instead of rebuilding it. Motor repairs are like Dr. and Lawyer rates around here.

Replacement motor seems to be: AO Smith QC1072 which is a square-flange, 3/4 hp, 115v, 3540rpm 48Y single speed motor. I was curious if I could find a multi-speed motor and the AO Smith SQL107R seems to fit the bill. It's a square-flange 2 speed motor at 3540/1750 rpm and everything else seems to match up. Price wise they are only about $50-$60 a part ($250 - $300), so the 2 speed sees to be a no-brainer. I'm aware I'd need to replace the timer.

Now, here's the meat of my concern.

In trying to take off the motor. I could only get it off by taking half of the bell housing with the impeller with it. I couldn't figure out how to get the impeller off. So I thought I'd search for a schematic on the STA-RITE website http://www.starite.com, but the site I found really doesn't seem correct to me, in that I can't seem to find anything about pool pumps on the website. Then to make matters worse I ended up finding this site http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/products/pumps-aboveground-dynamo-pumps-46.htm which seems to be a brand of STA-RITE, but I can get a whole new ($200) unit for less than just a replacement motor.

So, what should I do?

If I knew how to take apart the impeller, I can just swap the motor and not have to re-pipe and get a 2 Speed upgrade in the process. This is my preference.

Or, if taking the impeller off is going be a hassle, is getting a new unit worth having to get the clue, hacksaw and six pack out?

So, for those of you that are still with me, thank you.

Check out this thread for removing the impeller and installing the shaft seal assembly (you'll want to replace the seal assembly when you change out the motors :cool: )

The 2 speed replacement sounds like a GREAT idea! Don't get the AG model, unless you have an AG pool - they aren't designed to be used on IG pools!

The wiring for a 2 speed pump is different than a single speed (I've never wired one but understand that the important thing is to know what a "single pole, double throw" is and how to wire for it).

Maybe one of our Sta-Rite gurus will chime in with more tips and tricks.

Ted,

Thanks for the quick response!

I totally blanked on the link and didn't realize I was looking at an AG pump. Price wise, now we're looking at $200-$300 more for new system. I guess what I have is a Max E-Pro. From searching I can't find a 3/4 hp 2-Speed system, so the motor replacement seems like the way to go. Unless there would be a compelling reason to go with a 1.5hp motor? Our pool is only 17K and the flow/suction has been great. Overall I'm pretty happy with the system now, but thought having a lower rpm I could even lower our electric bill. Pretty pricey here in California.

Hi, you may want to check out this page on the Pentair website for your Max E-Pro pump. If you scroll down the page, there is a box with links to the owner's manual some good schematics.

Also Pentair's website has a forum for customers that is monitored by their technicians M-F during office hours. I have had very good luck getting specific product questions answered there.

Keep in mind if you are replacing the motor and want to change horse power or go 1 speed to 2 speed, to make sure you do not need to change out the impeller as well. Some manufacturers use different impellers for different motors.

Did you try to change the start capacitor first?

Mod,

Thanks.

I just did some deep diving just now and have printed out the schematics for the Max E-Pro. Can't believe I missed this before.

Our local pool store was closed before I had a chance to call about parts, but a tune up was my first thought. Then I figured since the motor is out... why not an upgrade?

Thanks for the forum hint. Just registered and will post when I get approval.

Well, I haven't had much luck with Sta-Rite Customer Service. The unit I have, doesn't have any markings on it, so I'm not exactly sure of what model I have. And they refuse to help without knowing what model I have. Giving them the motor model numbers aren't good enough.

And, it seems this was never an option to have a 115 volt 2 Speed motor. So, this isn't officially supported.

So, not sure what I should do. I'm all for hacking stuff. But I'm not getting the feedback that makes me all warm and fuzzy. Every reseller wants to sell the motor as special order, without any returns. $300 is too much to make a mistake with.

I'm thinking I might just have to replace the capacitor for now (if it is the problem) and take my time on this upgrade. My other thought would be to go to my local pool store. They are more expensive, but I think they might be able to return stuff it we can't make it work out.

Well, I ended up having my local pool store source the new 2 speed motor for me. Although it was about a little more than buying online. I didn't have to prepay and I can return if needed.

I think I misunderstood how a person would use a 2 Speed Pump. We don't have solar, water features, or a spa connected to the pool, and I vacuum by hand. I thought some part of the day I would use the full speed but from what I was told at the store, I'd just run the pump at low speed albeit a bit longer, and only use the high speed when I was cleaning the pool.

The reason I bring this up. Is I have a single pole T101 manual timer. And a new PE153 is over $200. But if I'm only using the high speed to clean the pool. Couldn't I just put the high speed connection to a separate switch and keep the low speed on the existing single pole timer? When I want to clean the pool I'd throw the switch for the high speed?

Having this new timer seems like a lot of overkill for our current pool configuration.

Thank you for your help.

Jose

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.