deck for above ground pool

imcj

May 18, 2010
I would love to have a deck, even a small one, for my above ground pool. In order to watch my young daughter swim if I don't want to get in, I have to stand by the pool so I can see over the side. It would be wonderful to have a small deck for a lounge or a couple of small chairs. My dilemma is that I am not a carpenter and would not be able to build this. Is there something available for purchase that would not break the bank? Thank you for your help.

We have a 5 x 13 deck from VinylWorks. It is perfect for our needs. The deck is sturdy, needs virtually no maintenance and held up well to the snow this winter. It has a safety gate and stairs up and also down into the pool. We would love to have a bigger deck, but septic setbacks prevent this.

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,035
If you are handy...the total for the materials for this deck was around $1400...you can easily do a smaller one for $800-900...don't get me wrong...this was built for me...i don't have those kind of skills....hope this helps!

Bo

Attachments

• Deck.jpg
    Deck.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 921
  • Deck2.jpg
    Deck2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 913
  • deck3.jpg
    deck3.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 910

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Robins Airman, is that $1400 your out of pocket? We had something similar built 2 seasons ago and it was over $4K!

imcj.....I would check local newspapers too and possibly consider placing an ad online advertising that you're looking for a small metal frame or wood deck for your pool. It's about the time where people are considering taking down pools and so you might be able to snag something for free that's in usable shape.

pool cover pump said:
Robins Airman, is that $1400 your out of pocket? We had something similar built 2 seasons ago and it was over $4K!

imcj.....I would check local newspapers too and possibly consider placing an ad online advertising that you're looking for a small metal frame or wood deck for your pool. It's about the time where people are considering taking down pools and so you might be able to snag something for free that's in usable shape.

That was for the materials...i did not built it my self...the labor cost me $800...wish i had the skills but i don't...that is why i responded to IMCJ with "if you are handy..."

I watched those guys build it...did not look that hard, for a handy person...but then again, had i done it, it would have colapsed by now... :shock: :)

Still got a good deal now that you mention how much you paid...i am not sure how your cost breaks down (labor/materials)...are you in the same ball park for material? Curious...

Bo

You'll find prices are dramatically different, depending on the region you are located in. Timing is everything too :goodjob: A few years ago you had no negotiation room, vs. a much different story today.

While in GA you may be able to set the posts in the ground or use shallow footers, in PA you likely required 42" deep footers, due to frostline. Heck, our deck permit cost us $150 in NY, and that cheap vs. other downstate NY locals. :rant:

dmanb2b said:
You'll find prices are dramatically different, depending on the region you are located in. Timing is everything too :goodjob: A few years ago you had no negotiation room, vs. a much different story today.

While in GA you may be able to set the posts in the ground or use shallow footers, in PA you likely required 42" deep footers, due to frostline. Heck, our deck permit cost us $150 in NY, and that cheap vs. other downstate NY locals. :rant:
We Live in PA and our AGP is nowhere near the house. The Township we live in said we couldn't have a floating deck (would not have attached to the house) We had to dig holes 36 inches down and they checked them lol........built a 24*28 Deck cost about $2000. Paid someone to put Vinyl railing on which cost more than the deck.. Permit was $23

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.