Things to consider before buying first hot tub

Sep 23, 2009
Hey all. My wife and I are considering the purchase of a hot tub. I've literally just started educating myself on different tubs and options, mostly via google and also shopping on Ebay and reading descriptions, etc.
Aside from personal preference issues, what would you guys suggest are important factors when deciding to buy our first hot tub? Is there much of a range in energy consumption between different models, given the same motor specs? Are there particular brands of components that I should look for? Certain specs in general that are important? Basically, how does one tell the difference between the junk and the good stuff? Being an avid online shopper for everything from car parts to furniture to electronics, I know that price is not always indicative of quality. :)

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Wes:

We just made the plunge on a new spa, we chose Coast Spa's from our Local Pool Company who also built our pool. I was so close to pulling the trigger on a Costco Model, but I still believe in supporting local business. Also, the service I get from my local company is outstanding. Sure it cost more, but in the long run, I feel that difference will become minimal with not having to hassle for service and the like.

There are tons of makes out there, I looked for effeciency, warranties and insulation.

Good luck on your purchase.

Rik

Rik, thanks a bunch for the reply. Sorry I was so long to respond. We actually pounced on used tub a few days ago. It's a "Four Winds" "Honolulu" tub that was bought for over $10,000 16 months ago (receipts were provided), which we stole for $3,800. It's not a "big name" tub, but it's still well within warranties and appears to be in like-new condition. The seller's circumstances turned out to be very advantageous for us, to say the least. :) Now I'm just doing some research on how to maintain it, what chemicals to use (and not to use), and planning for the hydro to be run and work to be done on the deck to build it in (with maintenance access, of course). Wish us luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.