Intelliflow VF shuts off randomly

susa

Oct 31, 2010
Deep South
At random times, my Intelliflow VF shuts off for a couple minutes, then resumes automatic program.

This occurs totally at random and does not happen when observed for several hours (longest time I've been working on wall project near pump for 4 hours, it did not happen).

Today, for example, happened to be brushing pool and pump turned off, power was not lost and there was no voltage "blip" at house as I monitor power quality with a TED5000 unit (Low Voltage Today:234.4 V @ 11:34 AM)

The pump resumes normal program in one minute.

Filter is clean (rinsed off 2 days ago), all equipment is new, no blockage, PSI is at 0 when running, about 4 PSI when priming).

Pump runs 4 days a week 2 programs, one for 4 hours at 20 gpm, another at 6 hours at 15 gpm.

The other days pump runs 24 hours at about 10 gpm.

If you haven't already, take a look at the pump control panel when it is shut down. There will often be a helpful message displayed there.

There are a number of different reasons it might shutdown. Loss of prime and having decided that it has run enough for the day are the two most common, though there are others.

Problem is that by the time anyone notices (it's random) the pump is already starting up on it's own and there is no use (have tried) in sitting there for an hour as it does not (ever) do it again while waiting for it to reoccur.

Any messages are gone by the time it's running again.

>> Loss of prime and having decided that it has run enough for the day

These are both ruled out as when I have seen it, there is no air in the basket under the lid, absolutely filled and once it restarts it resumes all previous programs (always the case).

I am totally overriding the pump's ability to decide when it has run enough as I overlay the Filter run programs with same timeframe Feature3 and Feature4 and force a set GPM rate which causes the pump to run faster for the first 4 hour program and slower for the last 6 hour program. By the time the 6 hour program is done, there is no filter time left so pump is totally down and can't recalculate anything on it's own.

I also lie about the gallons in pool and have told the pump it's a 25k pool so it has no way to complete a 1 time turnover with the allowed runtime(s) (yes it does for a true 15k but pump does not know that..)

X2 on the reset. I've followed your posts on how you've programmed the pump and I'm wondering if your overlapping programs may not be doing what you think/want them to anymore. I've wondered why you run a filter program just to override with a feature schedule. Why not just run the feature and not the filter mode...unless you have to? I'm not familiar with the vf programming but it seems like what you are doing is pretty complicated so back to my X2 thought

Just one time setup of Filter program, schedules and one time setup of Feature 3 and 4. One must setup first the Filter and Pool Setup, then the Feature(s) override the normal Filter programming.

Have not touched it since December 2010.

Does it shut down only when it's in the slow setting?

I found mine would periodically "loose prime" on a super low speed - 100w or so. (at least in it's mind :evil: ).

It would power off, and then re prime, do it's thing for a while and then randomly do it again.

I adjusted the settings a bit and got it up to 160w and the problem has gone away.

It has occurred both at ~175 watts and at ~135 watts, again, totally @ random, no loss of prime when it occurs as no bubbles in basket under lid and priming when resuming takes < 10 seconds. PSI is at Zero (for about 2 seconds at 4 PSI when starting)

My Intelliflo 4x160 pumps were doing something similar -- they would shut down for 30-60 seconds and then start back up. I contacted our local Pentair rep. and he mentioned that this condition is triggered by "freeze mode" and that I should either push the reset button or turn off the breaker to reset the entire system. He came out and updated the firmware in our IntelliTouch control system and said that this would fix the problem going forward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi
Did anyone find a solution to this issue , my VF does the same randomly shuts down by the time I go to look at the screen its restarting , altthou once it happened when I was next to the pump and the screen showed now faults and the just reprimed . Mine runs at 25gpm @ 120-130 watts . I too wonder if it voltage spikes or drops but I have no way of knowing . It annoys me becayse while it repriming it using a alot of power .
Dave

>> Did anyone find a solution to this issue , my VF does the same randomly shuts down

spoke with Pentair for 2nd time last week, they had reports of it occurring but no solution.

have ruled out voltage spikes as power is being datalogged every 0.5 seconds and voltage is steady at 225-240 when event occurs, no power outage(s) have occurred when this happens.

pump LCD shows "Power Stopped" and it only occurs on 15 GPM, never in 25 GPM or higher mode.

Well Ive noticed that at start up im the morning 7am it will start run for 5-10 min then stop then after 30-60 secs restart it will do this for 3 maybe 4 times after that it seem fine till nearing shutdown time at 5pm about 4 430 ish it will do the same thing , other than that its seems fine .

Mine runs at 25gpm .

Dave

Hi Susa

I did some replumbing on my pool and I have upped the flow rate to 40gpm and the VF settles ro 151watts , this is up from 25gpm and and 120watts to 135watts , Ive noticed that it does not do the random shutdowns .
I wonder if running at such low wattage leaves it supceptible to fluctations in the mains voltage ?? .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.