What timer would work?

Apr 2, 2011
Hello-I am new to the forum and I have plans to install a new in ground pool this spring. I have struggled with the electrical part of the build and would really appreciate some help from someone who can lead me in the right direction. I need to purchase a timer for my new pump and gas heater. the pump is 240v. and the heater can be set up for either 240v or 120v. i would like to run both pieces of equipment on the same timer if possible. What timer could I use to accomplish this?

I have found a Intermatic T104P201 with a "fireman" switch. I'm not too sure how this works or if it would work for what I am looking for. How does the "fireman" switch turn the heater on and off? is the fireman wiring 120v or 240v or low volt? How would I hook the power for the heater using this timer? I am really confused as to which way to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

knackll

The Intermatic T104P201 is ideal for that situation. Typically you wire both the pump and the AC power to the heater to the output of the timer, so the heater will be off any time the pump is off.. Then, separately, you wire a low voltage connection between the fireman switch and the heater. That connection tells the heater to turn off before the pump turns off, so it has time to cool down before water stops flowing. There should be something in your heater manual telling you exactly where to hook up the fireman connection.

You know, This was the way I thought I would wire it, but when I spoke to Hayward they insisted I run a seperate 240 or 120v circuit. Their reason was so that if either the pump or the heater were to short out that their individual circuit would trip preventing damage. If I put them both on the same 240v circuit, I will need to bump up the amps on the gfci CB to 30amps. The pump is supposedly 15amps and the heater is 10amps. Neither unit will throw the circuit breaker because of the CB is at a higher amp.

Maybe,I'm confusing this if I am please let me know and thanks for your response.

I really appreciate it!

knackll

Which heater do you have? Most of them draw less than 1 Amp, and you can use the same sized breaker that you would use with a pump alone.

As long as you have the fireman switch wired in you can put the heater on a separate circuit if you want to.

I have the FDN-200. Hayward suggests that when the heater first starts it can draw half of what it is rated for which is about 6.5 amps according to them. When it is running it only draws 1.5amps. Is the firemans switch a 120v or low volt?

The fireman switch is low voltage only. Typically the heater has an AC high voltage power supply connection and a separate low voltage remote shutdown control connection used for the fireman switch. The Hayward H200FDN has a blower, so it does draw a bit more power than many other heaters which just need to switch the gas valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.