Looking into above ground pool 15-18'

Mar 30, 2011
Clearwater, FL
I've been looking at Intex above ground pools and SWG. I'm not sure which type of pool I like best. The inflatable type looks like trouble but I haven't heard much bad about them. I like the look of them more than the lower end hard pools. My lawn is quite flat but I would certainly level it anyway.

Any advice?

What about ease of use and longevity? Are the low end hard pools significantly more durable than the inflatables? I am also interested in easy maintenance and would rather spend a little more for something easier to take care of.

I plan on getting a solar heater for the roof of my house. Should I be concerned about the circulation pump?

Thanks

FWIW, even the lowest end steel walled AGP should be more durable than the Intex pools. Intex pools are considered temporary pools (nothing against them, as I have owned one or two of them :mrgreen: ), but a perm. installed AGP, should be able to last you 15 years min, with the exception of having to maybe replace the liner at some point. It is not rare to be able to find a 18' AGP during fall closeouts for around $750, no pump, etc. That said, and intex can easily last 2-5 years, depending on how well you take care of it and what part of the country you live in, Hard freezes, etc. It all really depends on your budget :goodjob:

I am not a fan of the blow-up ring/ easy set intex, as most folks end up having to toss them once the ring develops a airleak...hard to patch.

The pump/filter included with Intex pools will not give you easy maintenance. They are undersized, and will do an OK job keeping a clean pool clean, but they are just about useless for cleaning a dirty pool. Lots of people have upgraded their Intex pools with better pumps and filters.

If you want to have solar, the Intex pump will not handle it.

I help my cousin put up a new 15' Intex style above ground pool every year. After the summer, we drain it and throw it in the dumpster. New one every summer, and that's the way to go IMO. We always get the one with the inflatable ring and never had a major leak issue. You can get them online really cheap or at your local Walmart, etc. They're the quickest and easiest above grounder to set up, no hassles with a separate liner, or frame, etc. But they're a quick set pool and not really designed to hold up longer than a year. And the small filtration system it comes with is a joke, and will not keep the pool water quality up to par with a real motor/pump/filter all year round. That's why we just toss it and get a new pool every Summer, makes more sense.

Now the metal frame higher quality pools are a whole different animal...

I've used Intex AGPs for the last 5 years. I take the pool down at the end of the season.

I started with the blow-up ring, but my recommendation is to get the metal frame.

Last year I purchased a SWG and loved it, able to use lower chlorine levels. But I did have to shock the pool 2 or 3 times.

Also, I set my pool up on a concrete slab, but first I lay down sheets of Styrofoam used for insulation. (can be found at you local Lowe's / Home Depot)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.