Aluminum Coping vs Cantilever Concrete

briansturgeon

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Our IG vinyl pool will be started in a couple weeks. We are trying to decide between using the standard aluminum coping or having the concrete deck poured with a cantilever around the pool.

I know the difference in terms of aestetics but my question is in terms of longevity. Which will last longer and be less likely to cause us problems in the future?

I think I'm just nervous about the cantilever because you see so many problems come up relating to these decks while it seems like you don't see that many issues when you just stick with the aluminum coping.

This is the coping the builder is planning on using http://coping.cinderellainc.com/capstone_cp5.asp

I think it looks better than the bullnose personally.

Just seems like the complaint seen most on aluminum is about needing to paint it which is an easy fix vs when there are concrete issues you are looking at tearout sometimes. We are considering a stamped or at least colored cantilever border around the pool and doing the rest in brushed concrete. If we do cantilever it will be stamped border probably.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.