SWG Recommendations

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey everyone,

Been reading forum posts for hours trying to pick out an SWG. I've got a 24,000 gallon in-ground vinyl pool and currently use chlorine. My budget is around $1,200 (although I won't argue if it's less, nor would I if it was a hair more).

I've been looking at the Aqua Plus from Goldline/Hayward, in part because it has a "Total Chemistry Option" called Sense & Dispense that helps with the PH as well. It's another $500 or so, so I won't get it initially, but it's a nice option.

But then there's also the AquaRite, the AutoPilot (which I've heard good things about), CompuPool, Intellichlor, Jandy, Polaris, etc, generators.

Do you guys recommend the Aqua Plus or do you think I'd be better off with a different option?

Thanks!

They Aqua Plus is a great system if you need both a SWG and a small automation system, you get both together at a very attractive price. I mostly don't recommend PH/ORP automation systems of any brand for most people. They add complexity and don't save you much work, if any. About the only time PH automation is worth it is when you have a negative edge, which tends to cause much more PH drift than usual. If you don't need automation, consider the AquaRite.

CompuPool is a good basic system that is inexpensive. The Hayward and AutoPilot systems are better if you can afford them.

AutoPilot has the most features, for example a nice alpha-numeric display that says things in english instead of code numbers. They also tend to be the most expensive.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I really don't need the automation aspect. I've already got a timer for the pump, and I don't have pool lights. Even if I add landscaping lights, I can throw them on a timer. Same with a heater.

I can't get passed the price on the CompuPool. It's almost 1/2 the price of the competition and I've yet to find anything bad said of it, however I have found positive things. They are fairly new though, so no word of long term reliability.

Thanks again!

I have the Compupool 36k SWG - Installed it last year. Purchased on ebay for about 620.00 delivered! I have obvioulsy not had the unit for a long time, but it works great, especially on my smaller pool. I wanted to go as big as possible (for gallon rating) as most of the people on the forum recommend. My pool is only about 10k, but it gets sun almost all day here in AZ and keeping chlorine in the pool with bleach was time and bleach consuming! Best pool purchase I've ever made! The warranty is good on the unit, as well. I think it has a 5yr on the electodes/generator (some of that is prorated) and a 2 or 3 year on the power unit/controller.

I have the unit running at 10-20% output for a 4hr run time in the winter, and my chlorine levels are always good. Last summer, I was running it at about 50% output for a 6hr run time, with great results.

That's my two cents on it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.