Can algae affect a salinity reading ?

goyom

Mar 30, 2010
HI all, I recently went through a round of algae, during which my salt cell salinty read 3300-3400 ppm, while in reality it was 2200-2400 ppm.

Now, that the algae has cleared my cell is reading now 2600 ppm, could the algae have caused that ?

Be sure to get an independent test of the water's salinity before adding salt. The system may not always be accurate on the salinity level due to a problem in the board or cell. Generally, the display should be accurate +/- 400ppm, but may need calibrated based on the results of your independent test.

Dave may need to chime in here but I think that there is an indirect relationship between algae in the water and increased conductivity which is what the salt cell is detecting. I might be wrong but I think that during the oxidation of algae some of the by products are ions which in effect increase the conductivity of the water. Since the water conductivity is increasing during this process I believe the higher salt reading of the SWG could be the ions present during oxidation. Again an expert would have to chime in here I could be out to lunch.

Ranger987 said:
Be sure to get an independent test of the water's salinity before adding salt. The system may not always be accurate on the salinity level due to a problem in the board or cell. Generally, the display should be accurate +/- 400ppm, but may need calibrated based on the results of your independent test.

Doe you know how one goes about "calibrating" the cell"? I have the same salt cell as you and mine is reading 3-400 ppm low. I know because I used the salt strips as well as the Taylor drop kit. I inspected the cell and it looked fine. I've cleaned the cell with an acid mixture to be sure, but it is still reading low. I am not sure what else to do at this point, but I don't want to add more salt.

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.