HOUSE RULES!!!

Bassin37WV

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2007
Bunker Hill, WV
This might be a strange question and off topic but how does everyone handle all the neighborhood kids? Our pool is going in this month and we have tons of kids in the neighborhood. How do you maintain the family sanctuary? We have 4 kids. Thank you for your thoughts. :?:

House Rules

This is how we handle the issue -

1) Nobody (kids/teens) swims without permission and adult supervision (with teens that means we at least must be home and know who will be using the pool) twice a week to have friends over is usually plenty except during VERY hot weather

2) Weekdays - supervised swimming with friends between noon and 5pm ONLy if our teens have all chores done and swimming must be pre-arranged/scheduled in case we plan on being gone - so nobody "just shows up." There is a limit of 6 total in the pool at one time. After 5pm is family time only, after 8pm ADULT time only.

3) Weekends - supervised swimming only when pre-arranged.

Everyone is shown the sign with pool rules (no horseplay, clean up, etc) and warned that anyone who does not follow rules will receive one warning for infractions, then after that will not be asked back to swim again.

Pool Rules

I bought a very nice chunk of wood and used a wood burning kit to write the rules - at the bottom a very nice Thank you, Plum Ridge Beach Management. I know that you can buy them, but none said what I wanted it to say and they all looked so "commercial" and sterile. The wood was cheaper than ordering a sign - even a cheap craft woodburing kit cost so little.

Looks great, took 30 mins and its weatherproof. We have a matching sign that points out the pool (Plum Ridge Beach ---> ) that also coordinates with a sign that hangs on posts over our driveway (Wild Plum Ridge) As you can guess, we have a ridge full of wild plums here - (soon to be in full bloom - I make the BEST jelly and wine with those!)

We have a "pool rules" sign in spanish. Found it online. I can read it but I tell everyone rule #1 says nobody under age 18 allowed in the pool. I don't have kids and didn't build a public pool. I rarely talk to our next door neighbors of 14 years and she actually came over and asked if her kids could come swimming. I told her my insurance required a 1/2 million dollar policy for any one under the age of 18 to be in the pool and if she wanted to pay it they could gladly swim. Don't mean to be a sour puss but we really don't like kids. I have one neighbor who is a good friend and do plan on having his kid over occasionally. I have told all friends and family that when the back gate is open they are welcome to come on in. If it's shut we want our privacy. Fair?

Donnie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool sign in Spanish???? :shock: well where does it stop, why not German, Russian , French come on give me a break

How to maintain the neighborhood kids? well tell them No or Yes, simple as that.

oh yeah, post a sign, like the speed limit sign on the highway :p

Rob

Rockcrawler said:
Pool sign in Spanish???? :shock: well where does it stop, why not German, Russian , French come on give me a break

How to maintain the neighborhood kids? well tell them No or Yes, simple as that.

oh yeah, post a sign, like the speed limit sign on the highway :p

Rob

I took the spanish sign post like this: No kids in the neighborhood speak spanish, therefore cannot tell if Donnie is being truthful about no one under 18 allowed. :lol:

One of our neighbors had a HUGE party last year ... 200 plus adults drinking all day and all night. They asked if they could use our pool if it got too hot ... told them no way ... don't want the liability, plus didn't want the party to end up at our house instead of theirs!

The same neighbors have called us while we were out and about (shopping) and asked if they could use our pool because they had just gotten done doing their lawn and they were hot. Told them no again ... no one in the pool when we aren't home!

I don't know about you all, but I would never ask to do stuff like this if someone else had a pool ... we aren't even close with our neighbors!

"I took the spanish sign post like this: No kids in the neighborhood speak spanish, therefore cannot tell if Donnie is being truthful about no one under 18 allowed. "

Exactly. It is a normal pool rules sign but in spanish. We spend alot of time in Cozumel and have tried to follow that theme. I can make up anything I want as to what the rules say which can be fun. Someone can bring Coors Light over and I can refer to rule #3. No light beer! when it actually says "please rinse before entering the pool"

etc. etc.

Donnie

WOW! You guys are really making me feel grateful for our neighbors, but it is TX, every other house has a pool...We don't have any signs, no kids, nieces/nephews are all really good about following rules and almost never need to be told twice...and that's on the little rules, big ones, like not going outside without an adult they are very good on.

We also lock the fence...but I might have to find one of those Spanish signs, rule #5 is must show up with food or booze, right? :)

Liability is an issue. I don't feel comfortable having anyone swim when we aren't home and a party overspill from next door? Yikes.

BYOB was a problem at first. Then we just told everyone up front that we will not supply the alcohol. If you show up with a six pack don't expect to have more than 6 beers. Show up with nothing, your not drinking. I got real tired of my beer fridge being empty! Of course there are exceptions like when we invite someone for dinner etc.

Donnie

"Liability is an issue"
I'm with you on that. One substantial liability claim could knock you right out of your pool (and home). Get the highest deductable and don't take stupid risks.

"I got real tired of my beer fridge being empty!"
Now, that could be an even more serious problem.

8.gif

waivers

Many great ideas here, one I live by is no one home, no one swims, and adult supervision mandatory - even if you're an adult yourself - meaning no one swims alone.

Try this:
(got this idea from my 7 yr olds motocross racing class where they're VERY strict about thses things)
get them to sign a liability waiver EACH and EVERY time they want to get in the pool, since they are minors it means nothing (but they don't know that) and they have to go back home to have it cosigned by mom or dad.
The lineups will diminish quite rapidly.

I also like the idea of the sign that says "please rinse before entering the pool" - just don't provide a shower or hose!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.