How do I fix this crack

Miscanthus

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2009
Pool cracked in the corner and I chiseled it out to let the water drain. Pool builder is not an option. I want to seal this crack, if possible, with hydraulic mortar mix, I then want to fill that corner with concrete, and build out and extend the stone down from the water fall to the bottom of the pool. What type mortar and concrete should I use for this? Also, is necessary to tie the new concrete into the existing pool wall with rebar? I can do this. I just need to know if I am on the right track.

Thanks

Attachments

• Pool crack-1.jpg
    Pool crack-1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 263
  • Pool Crack-2.jpg
    Pool Crack-2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 263
  • Pool Crack-3.jpg
    Pool Crack-3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 263
Yikes! I see in your other posts that your pool is ~4 years old, right? I know you said pool builder is not an option; I'm guessing that means they're out of business? Otherwise this is their problem to fix. Sorry I can't be more help, but others should be around soon.

Hydraulic cement should work and if I didn't do anything else, I'd chisel a few holes in the existing shell and anchor a few pieces of rebar in it. It'd be good to have them span the crack but that may not be possible in every place.

Bama Rambler said:
Hydraulic cement should work and if I didn't do anything else, I'd chisel a few holes in the existing shell and anchor a few pieces of rebar in it. It'd be good to have them span the crack but that may not be possible in every place.

What do you mean by "span" the crack?

Hello, My name is John Kells with http://WWW.ADVANCEDART101.COM and I think that you have more problems then what meet the eye in your pictures. Please take a moment and research deep before going down this repair road.
I have 30 years of experience doing such repairs that other people built, and believe what you want, but, this is very serious if not done right. I will step by step what I see to be your cure if you want to go it alone.
#1 Chip out all concrete until it is clean and free of lose pieces. #2 Clean rust off of rebar #3 Drill 1/2" holes in the middle of the wall every 6" to epoxy in 3/8" rebar that will be 6" deep on each side #4 wash out holes
and concrete, allow to dry fully #5 fill 2/3 with epoxy in the drilled hole one level at a time, add steel with the extra length to allow for your crack span #6 Put a form on wall to allow for pouring your repair material
#7 Before it is dry, remove form to rough up the wall with a stiff brush so that the plaster sticks better ( wet down the old cement before adding new material to assure a good bond, and rub it in with your hand at the point
of bond to help even more ) I hope this is good enough of an explanation for you, good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
I'm just posting to say how impressed I am with the great technical knowledge available on this forum. Nice posts, folks!! :lol: :lol:

As am I. Not sure you would be able to get that kind of advice anywhere else, even for a fee. :goodjob:

John Kells said:
Hello, My name is John Kells with http://WWW.ADVANCEDART101.COM and I think that you have more problems then what meet the eye in your pictures. Please take a moment and research deep before going down this repair road.
I have 30 years of experience doing such repairs that other people built, and believe what you want, but, this is very serious if not done right. I will step by step what I see to be your cure if you want to go it alone.
#1 Chip out all concrete until it is clean and free of lose pieces. #2 Clean rust off of rebar #3 Drill 1/2" holes in the middle of the wall every 6" to epoxy in 3/8" rebar that will be 6" deep on each side #4 wash out holes
and concrete, allow to dry fully #5 fill 2/3 with epoxy in the drilled hole one level at a time, add steel with the extra length to allow for your crack span #6 Put a form on wall to allow for pouring your repair material
#7 Before it is dry, remove form to rough up the wall with a stiff brush so that the plaster sticks better ( wet down the old cement before adding new material to assure a good bond, and rub it in with your hand at the point
of bond to help even more ) I hope this is good enough of an explanation for you, good luck!

Super advice! Thanks. What size rebar? this site is worth way more than $30.00.

Miscanthus said:
John Kells said:

Super advice! Thanks. What size rebar? this site is worth way more than $30.00.

Never mind, just saw the rebar size

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.