Opening up Intex metal frame pool...algae...test numbers

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
I tested the water before adding my bleach this morning. Haven't added stabilizer yet. All I have on hand is the granule stabilizer, not liquid. I added in 7 of the big size bleach bottles..I think they were 182oz each. I may have done overkill on the bleach. I checked the pool calculator and it said to add in 4.1 jugs of the 182oz size..but my stupidity..I didn't use the calculator till AFTER I poured them all in. Did I do any harm?

Here are my numbers before the bleach:
Clorine-0
TA-240
CYA- less than 20 I'm sure because I filled to the top and could still see the black dot.
CH- 450
PH-7.5

It says to add 86oz of muriatic acid to reduce th pH to 7.0.

Suggestions before I move on?

You added about 47 ppm CL to your pool I'd definitely let that come down before I did anything else. Once that's come down and you've killed all the algae then add some CYA to get to about 40 to start with.

With a CH of 450 it isn't a bad idea to keep the pH on the low side but I'm not sure I'd shoot for 7.0 but with a TA of 240 I'd go ahead and add about half the muriatic acid recommended and add more whenever the pH rises back to 7.6. DON'T check the pH again until the FC has come back down to 10 ppm or less.

Test your fill water for CH and report back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.