sand filter question

May 26, 2010
I have a haward sand filter. I do not know how old it is other than they do not make it anymore and it does not have laterals like the newer models. It has some type of circular grid in the bottom. My question is how do you know when it is time to replace the entire filter and not just the sand. The pressure still seems to rise normally, but I do not know if it is filtering properly.

The filtering is done by the sand, so unless something in the filter is broken and leaking or bypassing sand, it doesn't need replacing.

If anything ever breaks you'll probably have to replace it, simply because you won't be able to find parts for it.

yes, you would normally see "lines" of sand accumulating directly under the return jets, with sand in other areas as well. If you have an automatic pool cleaner, turn it off for a couple of days, backwash the filter & watch the floor for 48 hours. If something's broken inside, you'll see very distinct lines of sand build up on the floor since the sand is heavier than the water, it tends to settle to the floor very quickly.

It could be blowing sand back into the pool. Depending on your particular setup there are things that could happen that could allow water to bypass the sand and be returned to the pool unfiltered. But that's not likely.

Does your filter have a slide valve or a multiport?

Ranger987 said:
yes, you would normally see "lines" of sand accumulating directly under the return jets, with sand in other areas as well. If you have an automatic pool cleaner, turn it off for a couple of days, backwash the filter & watch the floor for 48 hours. If something's broken inside, you'll see very distinct lines of sand build up on the floor since the sand is heavier than the water, it tends to settle to the floor very quickly.
Just like to add; don't forget the rinse after backwashing or you may get some dirt or sand that you think is from an internal leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.