Variable Speed Pump, Controlllers, with Solar Heating

Mar 30, 2011
I want to install a new Variable Speed Pump for energy efficiency. I believe I understand two settings to run higher for the cleaner and lower for just filtration. What do I need to do to run the solar which I believe will need to run higher to push the water through the solar system? I have a 25k gallon pool, pool equipment is ten feet from pool and is right next to single story house where water is pumped up to roof. Is a VSP still efficient if I want to run solar six months out of year? Someone said I may need an additional controller?

With solar on the roof you do need to turn up the pump speed somewhat to make sure there is enough pressure to push water up to the roof and still close the vacuum release valve. Just how fast you need to turn up the pump varies with every pool. Given that your panels are only one story up, you shouldn't need to turn it up to any where near full speed.

The more you need to turn up the pump, and the more the solar system is running, the less energy you will save. Still, you will save some electricity in any case. How that affects your break even time is difficult to figure exactly.

This is similar to a question I've been contemplating... My pool is about half the size, 12,500 gallons with a 250 sq.ft. solar array on top of our very tall two-story... about 25 to lower roof level. Currently, we have a larger single-speed pump for filter/cleaning, another smaller single speed strainer/pump for spa boost, and 3rd pump (without strainer) for solar. Interestingly, solar pump moves water and cleaner moves without filter pump on. When this happens, water still goes through filter, but filter pressure gauge doesn't record a pressure in this mode... actually a vacuum.

I've been wondering if I got a variable speed pump, if I could eliminate the solar pump.

rvrboso, my setup is similar to yours. I'm running an IntelliFlo 3050 with no additional controller. When I want to run the Kreepy Krauly, I punch #2, and when I just want to filter and run the solar, it's on #1. I had to spend a little time (20-30 minutes) to get each setting to the minimum flow where the equipment would still work, but at this point, I don't have any need for a controller.

bigRoN18, yes a variable speed pump and an appropriate automation system would allow you to go down to a single pump. Unless you electric rates are quite high that probably wouldn't save you any money.

If you want to explore all the pros and cons you should start your own topic, rather than taking over this one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.