Whisperflo Sqeals during cold start-ups

maxepr1

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2011
DFW
I have a 2hp Whisperflo that Sqeals during cold weather start-ups but during the pool season it is fine! I know its the bearings but do I really need to replace them? And why is so common for everyone I talk to say just replace the pump!! And if you want to replace the bearings prices from $80-175!!! For $20 worth of bearings!! Lets get real, gouging in the pool industry has reached an all time high!! With the proper tools(bearing puller) and not damaging the motor shaft this is a simple job! Nobody remembers rebuilding there alternator!

But does the case need to be taken off to pull the bearings?? With a puller I think it can be done? With an arbor and press the case would have to come off. Not any pictures or videos I can find on the process?

Yes the case has to be dismantled to get to the bearings especially the front one. Which just happens to be the most common one to go out. However, if you can do it yourself then it's pretty inexpensive for the parts.

Thanks Bama, nice to know that I'm not the only one! 7 years old so I guess I'm on borrowed time, but don't really have the money to throw at something that is working fine. I think I'm going to take it apart and check the impeller and replace the seals. While I'm in there look at the bearings, I'd like to just replace them all at once. Like to see a video or picture to see if a standard bearing puller will work. Or just cut it off, not sure how much room there is?

maxepr1 said:
Thanks Bama, nice to know that I'm not the only one! 7 years old so I guess I'm on borrowed time
When I changed my 21 :shock: year old motor for a 2-speed, it was still running just fine! The front of the motor case was completely rusted away on the bottom, but that thing was a trooper! The bearings were starting to make some noise, and I wanted to save some $ on the electric bill, so that's why I swapped it. If electricity wasn't so expensive, I would have just changed the bearings and kept using it. BTW, I still got a few $'s for it after stripping the windings and selling them for scrap :goodjob:

How do you like the 2 speed? I think my next pump will be a variable. Got talked out of one when I bought the unit I have now, they were still pretty new and there weren't many to choose from at the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love the 2-speed motor :goodjob: It has saved me about $30 or so per month since I swapped the new motor in. I run it 8-10 hours a day on low, and only use the high speed for backwashing and for the water slide. I probably could have justified the cost for a variable speed with our high electric rates, but the motor and seal kit was $200 vs. $1000 for a variable. When it's on low, I cannot hear it until I get about 5 feet away, and my water seems cleaner due to the lower flow rate and more efficient filtering.

Nice $360 or more a year in savings! I think I'm going to wait till mine explodes then get new one. Can't decide on which model? I think if the pump doesn't have controls I'm going to have to add a relay in my panel to control the pump. But I don't know the difference in wiring a 2 speed pump from a variable speed? Is one more effficent than the other? Also the control wire if you use the panel to control speeds and time settings not sure if my board can support it. 7 year old P4? Lot of questions haven't done any research on pumps?

From what I've read, the variable speed pumps are more efficient than the 2 speeds. This is due to the fact that you can run them at very low speeds, reducing head loss to a very small amount. There are pools with variable speed pumps running at a low enough speed to achieve 1 turnover in a 24 hour period and only using as much energy as a couple of light bulbs. I'll let the experts chime in as far as automation goes :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.