Best price on 10%+ liquid chlorine in DFW area?

If you have a large pool party or an event that dumps lots of organic material in the pool it's much better to add FC using liquid rather than rely on teh swcg to try and generate it. you can get it up much faster with bleach than you can with the swcg.

I order the TFT-100 test kit on saturday last week. But i went ahead and take a water simple to Leslie and see what they say. The result shows I only have CH-230, and CYA of 40. I want to pick up some supply before the TFT-100 shows up. That way, I can be ready after I do my own test.

Just picked up two 3 packs of 8.25% at Sam's, $7.98 each! $2.66/121 oz is best I've found. Not sure if it's the same at all Sam's, but is in Austin.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Every time I ask about liquid chlorine at the Pool stores, they tell me they don't carry it. When I ask about using bleach, they tell me I'll be adding additives to the water. What are the additives they are warning me against?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Optimus Prime said:
Every time I ask about liquid chlorine at the Pool stores, they tell me they don't carry it. When I ask about using bleach, they tell me I'll be adding additives to the water. What are the additives they are warning me against?
If you are in the DFW-area, I have experienced the same thing and it's frustrating. Most likely they are going to tell you that bleach adds Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) to your pool. Well, so do other forms of chlorine including their beloved "shock" products and tabs. This is pool-store-speak for "We would rather you buy our pucks and sell you other chemicals at a higher markup that you really don't need." Besides, TDS is a meaningless parameter because it is made up of several components. A TDS number by itself will not tell you if your water chemistry is good or bad. Two pools can have an identical TDS numbers and one pool can be sparkling and well-balanced and the other can be green and unbalanced. That's why we recommend focusing on testing/managing FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, CH, plus Salt (primarily if you have a SWG pool).

Optimus Prime said:
Plain unscented bleach is fine. Avoid outdoor, scented, no splash or anything else. Just plain bleach. The pool store would rather sell you chemicals so they tell you to avoid bleach.

I buy liquid pool shock which when you read the label is just 12.5% bleach. It is more concentrated but it's still bleach.

Optimus Prime said:

There will be additional weight in your wallet from not going to the pool store.

Plain bleach, as stated above, is the same thing that any of the pool stores sell, it just may be in a different concentration.

Post up your pool's specifics; pool size, material, decking, etc.. I can post experiences with both the Liquidator and salt systems.

I've been stocking up from Aldi (Keller area). Its almost $1.25 / 96oz of 6%. I think I might grab some 8.25% from Sam's next time I'm there though just so I don't have to use so many bottles / week. I have a whole shelf of bleach in my storage shed and it seems like I'm chugging through those 96oz bottles pretty quick.

An LQ (liquidator) will be good for you, but a SWG is more convenient as long as you don't have stone coping or decking. I found my pool was too large for the LQ to keep a week's worth of chlorine in reserve.

One thing about the LQ, if you go that route make sure you get the upgrade kit (all the valves and such are larger), and make sure your TA and pH are in proper range. If TA is out, you may get "white stuff" in the LQ. It seems to be a calcium precipitate in the water and is eliminated by bringing TA into spec usually. For me, it required both getting TA correct and going to 50ppm borates.

If you go salt, stone can be an issue in Texas. But, you will hardly ever have to haul another chlorine bottle. You will have to watch pH, as for most people it will rise as the SWG does its job.

I installed my LQ on a friend's pool, about the size of yours, and it's been working great for him.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.