Finally shopping for a new pump/motor

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Well, it's just about time to replace my squeaky pump motor. I plan on replacing it with a 2-speed, keeping the same 1.5 SFHP so I can run the in-floor cleaner properly on high speed. I need some help buying the right thing!

Looks like I can get a WhisperFlo for about $650, a TriStar for $600, and Stealth is comparable as well. If I opt to replace just the motor, I can do that for ~1/3 the price. It looks like the AO Smith USQ 1152 is the appropriate motor; can someone confirm that? It's SFHP is 1.6, which seems close enough.

My current timer is an Intermatic for a single speed pump. Will I need to replace that, or is there a way to just switch to high speed manually when the pool needs cleaning?

Thanks all.

If you mean the UQS1152R then, yes that's a good match.

If you have the T104R in a double enclosure then adding a T106M to the enclosure is the way to go. If you have a single enclosure you may be better off buying the T10604R unit complete.

ETA~~ You can run the pump on low speed with the timer and manually switch it to high when needed.

OK, so I might have put this off for another year. This seems too stupid to be true: the WFDS-4 and WFDS-26 are exactly the same pump, but I've found quite a difference in prices. At LEAST $50 cheaper for the -26...am I missing something important?

I'm looking mainly at Hayward and Pentair; the pump curves for the Jandys seem to be quite a bit higher or lower than my current pump. The Tristar is a bit lower flow and the WFDS-26 is a bit higher flow than my current pump. I don't think either is far enough off to make a difference.

edit: Jandy is out; their pumps are way taller than the other two brands and would require a lot more work to make 'em fit!

Melt In The Sun said:
OK, so I might have put this off for another year. This seems too stupid to be true: the WFDS-4 and WFDS-26 are exactly the same pump, but I've found quite a difference in prices. At LEAST $50 cheaper for the -26...am I missing something important?
Not missing anything, it is just marketing. Go for the best price.

To me it looked like the whisperflo needed male fittings while the superflo came with unions ... but would love confirmation.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Looking at the current installation, I don't think I can put in anything new without replacing a valve, which would then mean I could look at the Jandys again. I just don't see a way to fit anything without cutting below the elbows and building from there. Look the same to all y'all?

IMAG0221.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is what I see as well ... and those valves are not too cheap ... Just ordered 6 of them for $266 (although I am only replacing 1 check valve and 1 3-way, the others are additional.

Hard to keep enough pipe for future changes.

OK, gonna buy something today. I'm trying to estimate head loss/operating point for my system; Mark usually works this magic for people but I'd like to understand it myself :)

My filter pressure varies because of the in-floor cleaner; I'm going to use 20 as an average.
Return head = 20*2.31+2=48' (added 2 instead of 3 because my filter is short)
Suction head = I'm not sure how to calculate this one. I've got 2x 2" suction lines, skimmer line ~10', drain line ~30'. Using just one line at a time, I estimate ~6.5' for the skimmer line (assuming 10' of 2" pipe and 5 90s) and ~8.5' for the drain line (30' pipe, 5 90s). I understand that with both open, head loss will be less than either individually, so I'll pretend it's 5.
That gives me about 53' of head total.

At 53' of head, my current pump is giving me 81 gpm.
Tristar SP32102EE (1.85 SFHP) ~93 gpm
Whisperflo WFDS-26 (1.65 SFHP) ~85 gpm
Stealth SPHF 1.0 (1.65 SFHP) ~93 gpm
Costs are comparable for all of them.

Looking at this it seems that the Jandy is a bit more efficient than the other two at the operating point. Does this look sound to everyone? Still gotta measure to see if I can fit the Jandy on the pad...

53' is pretty close to what I get as well but keep in mind that head changes with different pumps. You can find the operating point for other pumps by creating a plumbing curve. If you know that you have 53' of head @ 81 GPM then your plumbing curve will look like this:

Head (ft) = 0.0081 * GPM^2

This is pretty close to the CEC Curve-C so you can use that for a comparison. Also, you can then plot that over any head curve to find the new operating point. Here is what I get for each pump plus I added another Whisperflo:

Super II SP3010EEAZ - 79 GPM @ 52', 1643 Watts, 2.90 gallons/watt-hr
Tristar SP32102EE (1.85 SFHP) - 88 GPM @ 63', 1978 watts, 2.67 gallons/watt-hr
Whisperflo WFDS-24 (1.25 SFHP) - 78 GPM @ 50', 1592 watts, 2.93 gallons/watt-hr
Whisperflo WFDS-26 (1.65 SFHP) - 82 GPM @ 55', 1880 watts, 2.62 gallons/watt-hr
Stealth SPHF 1.0 (1.65 SFHP) - 85 GPM @ 59', 1930 watts, 2.64 gallons/watt-hr

Note that the WFDS-24 is close to the same operating point as your old pump but has better efficiency.

Melt In The Sun said:
Looking at the current installation, I don't think I can put in anything new without replacing a valve, which would then mean I could look at the Jandys again. I just don't see a way to fit anything without cutting below the elbows and building from there. Look the same to all y'all?

IMAG0221.jpg

I ran into a similar situation with our plumbing when I switched from a WhisperFlo to an IntelliFlo. I think you could cut the vacuum side about 1/4" or so onto the 2" connector near the pump and then clean that piece of connector with a flathead screwdriver. It looks like the 2" pipe is painted, so you would have to remove that, and then use plenty of primer. But if you were able to clean up enough, then you could use that free end to connect up a union. An alternative would be to cut the connector near the valve and use a 1.5" pipe to fit inside the Jandy valve to the union. As for the output, you should have enough pipe there to install a union between the output port of the pump and the existing plumbing. If not, you may need to heighten the plumbing a bit with standard 2" PVC, but this would be pretty trivial.

Thanks Craig...I think I'm just gonna suck it up and buy another valve. It's just easier that way, and I'll be sure it'll work. I'm not worried about the pressure side, since there's plenty of room there; plus I need to get a new hose bib since that one is cheap plastic and leaks catastrophically...I had to put a cap on it for the last few months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.