Melanie

extra

Mar 29, 2011
Hi - I ran across this site quite by accident, but am very happy to have done so. We've been in our home for 13 years, and inherited our pool in the purchase. My husband always took care of everything having to do with the pool ... but he passed away 2-1/2 years ago. We didn't open the pool the 1st summer he was gone. Last summer we had a new liner installed, purchased a new heater and converted to the salt system. I had the work done, had them open the pool, as well as close it. I only had to maintain, which was actually not that bad. However, the boys kept cranking that heat up and our gas bill was as high as it was in the winter (in Michigan, that can get quite expensive :hammer: ) I'm looking for opinions on everything pool-wise, :roll: ... but specifically I was searching for the best way to cut down on the heating bill without purchasing one of those huge, bulking, solar covers, that take 2 people to handle.

Thank you for this great site, no doubt I will be spending many hours here!

Welcome Melanie.

Sans one of those big bulky solar covers :) :mrgreen: , you only have a few ways to keep the gas bills down. Of course the easiest (or maybe not) thing you can do is keep the heater off. Next would be a solar heater, if you have plenty of south facing roof to install one on. Then there's that move to Florida. Ok maybe that last one was a little drastic. :hammer:

Hey, extra,

Welcome to the forum :lol: Dittoing what bama said, solar heat or a move to the South are about your only two options on that big pool.

Solar blankets are a chip shot for smaller pools and they are very, very effective but I have a large pool like you and wrestling a solar cover on and off is simply overwhelming.

As a last resort, you could consider two rollers with solar covers for the L-shape and probably be able to manage two solar blankets but the move South may be the best bet of all!! :roll: :roll:

Extra, welcome to TFP :wave: Unfortunately I believe that a solar cover is a must in order to keep the heat from escaping. A solar cover in conjunction with solar heat system is your best solution. Of course moving to Florida is the better solution however I suspect this would be very costly :mrgreen: I have a solar cover and solar heat and the pool was 90 degrees this past weekend. We have been swimming since the second week in February and have not used our heat pump this year. :whoot: :cheers: :cheers:

Welcome we're relatively new here as well, but love this resource. Ditto on the solar cover. We've only owned one for a little over 2 weeks now, but can conform that they work. We bought a clear mid grade cover and began using it in mid March. Our daytime highs were mid 70s and night time lows in the 50's. In the first week our water went from 65-66 up to 73. Our weather changed this past week and ever since late Monday our daytime highs have been low-mid 60s all week with nighttime lows in the 40s. Our water has only dropped to 68 so far. Tomorrow we go back to sun and warming (70s with about 80 on Sun) so I totally expect to get back up to 72-73 water temp this weekend. Long dissertation, but the solar blanket works. We were going to buy a reel, but we won't be needing the blanket by May here in the South, so instead, we cut ours in half and find it quite easy to manage that way. There's no shortage of kids to help remove & install it. Getting to swim even motivates them to help clean the pool too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support