Any experiences with Waterco SupaTuf or Speck 2 speed pumps?

rv4hess

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 14, 2011
Because of all our swimout spa jets my pool supplier has offered to upgrade us from a 1 1/2 hp Hayward 1 1/2" (single speed) to a Waterco SupaTuf 1 1/2 horse (single speed) with 2" pipe capability. They also offer a Speck 2 speed for only $50 more.
I really like the 2 speed idea but Speck only offers a 1 yr (vs 2-3 yr) warranty.
Does anyone have good or bad experiences they can share about any of these pumps (or manufacturers)?

Our pool will be about 16,000 gallons, 8 spa jets + 2 returns, 2" plumbing, slide and/or water feature, and most likely future solar heat.

Thanks, John

Re: Any experiences with Waterco SupaTuf or Speck 2 speed pu

Agree... I don't have personal experience with either of them, but discussions with people who have indicate that Speck is definitely the way to go. btw, most mfgrs offer only a 1 year warranty if you're only purchasing one piece of equipment from them. The 3 year warranties generally come into play when you're looking at a new build & use pump, filter, +1 of a particular brand.

Now, the brand won't make much of a difference if you're trying to move more water thru the same size pipe. You can search this forum for topics in hydraulic efficiency based on the size of your plumbing. Each pump has a design flow rate, but it's important to make sure it falls within the proper range for the size of your piping. For instance, if you have 2" plumbing, a 1.5-2.0 hp pump will generally max that pipe out. Moving more water can be done, but it costs you far more in electricity to move the extra water. The cost increases exponentially - as an example, doubling your flow rate can quadruple your cost in electricity. Hayward, Speck, Waterco - won't make a difference in this. In some cases, it is beneficial long-term, to add a 2nd pump just for the therapy jets & reduce the size of the main pump, so you only run the jet pump when needed and you run the smaller pump at a greater efficiency on a daily basis.

Good luck!

Re: Any experiences with Waterco SupaTuf or Speck 2 speed pu

Thanks guys, I just called Johnny @ Royal Swimming Pools and he upgraded me to the 2 speed Speck 1 1/2 hp w/ 2" inlet outlets for only $50.
Not that I don't trust the SupaTuf, it does sound like a good pump.

After researching what people are saying on here about the wasted electricity of an oversized pump single speed, I really saw the reason for a 2 speed.
Even with our low KWH here (7.8- 10.65 cents) the economics of running a 2 speed makes great sense and should pay for itself many times over its life.
According to the published flow rates, the low speed on the Speck should still turn over our entire pool volume in less than 8 hours.
I was glad to hear from you that Speck is a reputable pump manufacturer.

Thank you for your advice.
John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.