How important is SVRS? In particular on a pump.

Puffin

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2010
Metro Atlanta, Georgia
Looking at the Ecostar and Intelliflo pumps I see they both have SVRS options. This option raises the price by about 25%-35%. I don't recall seeing this feature on (many, if any) single and 2 speed pumps. So I've been wondering, how important is this feature? Is it worth the extra money?

Others may correct me, but my impression is that if your pool was constructed with dual main drains and/or has the entrapment-proof covers, it is unnecessary. It's designed to release the suction if it senses that something is stuck in the suction port (i.e. a child's swimsuit). An older pool with a single drain would benefit, but should be retrofitted with the entrapment-proof drain cover anyway.

Some states/towns require them on new construction. Suffolk county on Long Island (NY) requires them and not just on commercial pools.

They can help make a pool safer, even if they have dual, non blockable drains.

There are two in the US market that are available today. The Hayward and the Pentair. I am not a fan of Hayward in general but some here are. The Pentair has been out substantially longer. The Hayward is, in this category, the new kid on the block.

Scott

I have it on the vs-SVRS and it's bloody annoying. It's like princess and the pea, the pump stops when you get any air into the system - like when vacuuming. If you don't need the LCD display, the VS-3050 is the way to go if you want a 3HP unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.