I just installed (2) Sungrabber 2x20 solar panels...

keithw

Mar 30, 2007
Virginia Beach
I have a 6700 gal fiberglass pool. Just bought two of the Sungrabber 2' x 20' aboveground pool solar panels and installed them this past weekend. I am impressed with the results so far. The weather this weekend in VA was party cloudy, in the upper 70's. I consistently got a 6 degree increase from the pool temp on water coming out of the panels when sun was on the panels. Yesterday at peak exposure, the output was 90 degrees.

Keithw,

Besides the solar panels, what else did you need to buy? I looked at the link you posted in your reply but it does not go into any great detail as to what is needed to get the panels working? Thanks in advance.

Ray

I didn't want to rework major plumbing to tie these in so I decided to tie them into one of the returns. To do that I bought a Polaris UWF (Universal Wall Fitting) kit. It is an adaptor that replaces one of your returns and allows quick disconnect from the returns and terminates in a 1 1/4 male adapter. Then I used standard 1 1/4 vacuum hoses to go to the input on the panels and then back into the pool. That is pretty much it. A few clamps, and the frame for the panels. I am eager to see how long I can keep the pool open with these panels.

FYI: I bought mine through this seller on eBay: http://tinyurl.com/2oj584

It came with the bypass valve kit which you have to buy separately from some sellers. Like I said, I have not been able to get it connected yet, but I looked through the box and read the instructions and it looks like everything we would need is there with the exception of extra hoses. With the bypass valve you need to go from filter to valve, valve to panels, panels to valve, and valve to pool return--so four hoses.

We remodeled our kitchen earlier this year and my husband is rebelling against any more household projects, so I might have to wait until spring to try mine out. :-( It's torture watching the pool temp drop and knowing the panels are just sitting there!

We see a big difference with panels - we have 2-4x20s. They are a great investment. Years ago we ran in a series on our 2x20s (4 of them) but then read something on PF that made us change our mind. Now ours are run parallel rather than in a series as they suggest and I believe we get a better return of heat that way.

Yes, it was cheaper than the other online sites I had checked, especially considering that you got the bypass valve with it. I had also been tracking several eBay auctions for the same thing, and all of them were going at auction for higher than the "Buy it Now" price on this one (with shipping factored in). Even though that seller is Canadian, the panels arrived here in FL in less than a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't consciously choose Sungrabber. That was the brand most sellers on eBay were offering, so I went to the Sungrabber website and it looked like they had a lot of info and the 10 yr. warranty sounded good. Sure, I was taking a chance with the eBay seller, but they had good seller ratings and solar panels seemed to be the only thing they sold. Since they had no negative ratings I figured it was safe. I would not say cost was my only concern, but I didn't want to spend more than $200 or so. I have used eBay for at least 10 years so it's something I'm comfortable with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.