need assistance, not sure what to do now

May 26, 2010
I started opening our 24' ag pool about two weeks ago. We had an issue with mustard alge last summer so we left it and did nothing to it over the winter hoping to drain most of the water this summer. We decided not to do that however and started shocking it about two weeks ago. Since then the water has turned from swamp green to cloudy blue green. I have been running the pump and filter for 24 hours a day for at least 7 days and have not seen much improvement. I can still only see about a foot into the water. My question is what to do next. I do not know if I should continue shocking or possibly put de in the sand filter to help filter better. Unfortunatly I do not have test results right now. I am ordering a good test kit, but I do not have it yet. Right now I am just going by a 6 way test strip and a 2 way liquid kit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Without knowing your current chlorine level, it's hard to advise. You need to maintain your chlorine at shock level constantly until the green color is gone.

Without a good FAS-DPD test kit and a reliable number for your CYA, you really don't know if you've been shocking properly. My guess is that you have not. It can take a while to clear a pool in the best of circumstances. Keep your FC at shock level as beat you can until you can get a good test kit. Don't give up on it. You can get this clear and keep it that way. You're biggest hurdle is going to be getting rid of the algae you have right now. Once that's done it'll be much easier to maintain.

How do you normally chlorinate your pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.