Aquabug vs. Baracuda pool cleaner....opinions????

I don't know that I would consider the Aquabug an upgrade. They are both suction side pool cleaners that are self propelled by the suction of the pump. If it is the Baracuda Ranger, it runs around the same price as an Aquabug. Baracuda G2 and G3 models are more expensive. My Ranger tends to get caught on the ladder and doesn't like acorns. It will pick them up but they get stuck and the Ranger stops moving. I don't have any personal experience with the Aquabug, but since it operates on a similar principal it probably has similar issues.

If you can get $150-200 off the price of a pool robot that would be something to consider!

By the way, what size pump are you getting?

Good luck with the new pool!

zea3 said:
I don't know that I would consider the Aquabug an upgrade. They are both suction side pool cleaners that are self propelled by the suction of the pump. If it is the Baracuda Ranger, it runs around the same price as an Aquabug. Baracuda G2 and G3 models are more expensive. My Ranger tends to get caught on the ladder and doesn't like acorns. It will pick them up but they get stuck and the Ranger stops moving. I don't have any personal experience with the Aquabug, but since it operates on a similar principal it probably has similar issues.

If you can get $150-200 off the price of a pool robot that would be something to consider!

2 HP/2 speed with a 150 cartridge filter. That's what comes with the pool. We are trying to look into a different size pump though!!

What is a pool robot?

Thanks

The biggest difference between the two cleaners is that the Aquabug has "turning" built into it, whereas the Baracuda does not. With the gearbox in the Aquabug, it will turn away when it gets stopped by a wall, step, bench or other obstruction built into the pool. Many other cleaners do not have this and can get stuck on obstructions for long periods of time, increasing the time in cleaning the pool and increasing the attention you must pay to it. Other than that, both will clean the pool well.

yes, but generally speaking, cleaners for aboveground pools - all automatic pool cleaners for that matter, tend to have trouble with "large" debris and trouble spots in pools. There is always some debris that will need to be removed manually, as automatic cleaners aren't designed to handle it. Understanding the products and what they are designed to do, they do a pretty good job.

IMO the Pool Rover Jr is a great robot for AGPs. Robot meaning it operates independetly of you pump and filter. Drop it in the pool and 2hrs later 97% of the pool debris on the floor is vacuumed up, including sand/silt.

I have one but I'm biased.

I got mine refurbished a few years ago and still love it.

I just saw it on a website I ordered CYA from the other day and with the 15%off promotion the have going on, looks like it is $236 shipped, vs typical retail of $299-$349

I paid $199+tax for a refurb, 2 years ago

here is the link where I noticed this (make sure to use the coupon code, noted in the thread, if you decide to order it). For full disclosure, I have no personal or business linkage to that website, other than a few of us scored a good deal on CYA and curiousity lead me to see what else they sell that is pool related.

great-cya-price-t29287.html

Ranger987 said:
yes, but generally speaking, cleaners for aboveground pools - all automatic pool cleaners for that matter, tend to have trouble with "large" debris and trouble spots in pools. There is always some debris that will need to be removed manually, as automatic cleaners aren't designed to handle it. Understanding the products and what they are designed to do, they do a pretty good job.
I agree, it's just that the bug tends to have the most trouble with the debris from my experience. I've seen other cleaners go right over these trouble spots and pick up the debris that the bug doesn't get or go to.

dmanb2b said:
IMO the Pool Rover Jr is a great robot for AGPs. Robot meaning it operates independetly of you pump and filter. Drop it in the pool and 2hrs later 97% of the pool debris on the floor is vacuumed up, including sand/silt.

What do you mean it operates independently of the pump and filter???? Probably a dumb question, sorry! :)

And thanks for everyones input!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DBfan187 said:
It runs on low voltage electricity, therefore you can still use your skimmer and returns like you normally would.

Yup, or use it when the pump and filter are not running. It's a self contained unit with an internal pump (low voltage driven) that vacums the pool independent of your other pool equipment. Just scoots along the pool bottom sucking up debris into a filter bag within the unit. After 2 hrs, take it out, rinse the bag and repeat in a day or two or three. To me, the plus is keeping that debris out of the skimmer/pump baskets as well as what may slip through to you filter while manually vacuming or using a aqua bug type suction cleaner.

The down side is it is independent and you have to plug it in, drop the bot in and keep the filter bag clean...some folks like bots and some don't, but I wouldn't trade mine for nothing, other than a new one :lol:

oasis1 said:
zea3 said:

2 HP/2 speed with a 150 cartridge filter. That's what comes with the pool. We are trying to look into a different size pump though!!

What is a pool robot?

Thanks

The 2 speed part is great! The 2 hp is way too much! When water moves at a slower rate it filters better. Plus the cost of running a 2 hp pump will be higher than say a 2 speed 1hp pump.
I think you will find the cartridges for your filter last longer with a lower speed pump as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.