One more 2 speed pump question....

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
Although this new 2 speed pump I got does not list a SF rating, their is a sticker on it that says......HP 1.0- .16 SPL
That sticker tore off almost on its own and underneath it was another similar sticker that says.........HP 1.0- .12 SPL
Does anybody know what the .16 SPL means?

I am not 100% on this one but from what I understand SPL stands for special and means that the HP rating is somewhat fictitious. Normally, motors are labled with HP ratings less than the braking HP of motor thus the necessity of a service factor.

However, for motors labeled SPL, the HP rating on the label can be more the braking HP or a service factor < 1.0 which is why they label it SPL. So basically, you cannot trust the HP rating.

That does make sense actually since I have located this motors catalog number and searched online discovering that it is listed as a 3/4 hp and not a 1 hp. I just wondered about that and was curious why there was not a SF rating. The motor that this one replaced was also listed as a 1 hp SPL and pulled 9.0 amps. This motor has more power on high(8.8 amps) than the other one did. I know this because it runs about 1-2 psi higher on the guage and also because my lil' shark auto vac is all over the place with this new motor but was not as effective with the other motor. Weird, but I guess every motor is different, even if it is rated the same powerwise. This motor is also quieter on high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.