A few Questions

Mar 23, 2011
Monaco
Hello everybody...
This is the second time that I'm writing this because I just lost the whole articles because I hit a bad key on the keyboard. I should have saved... Anyway this seems to be a wonderful source of information for all pool owners. I have read quite a lot here over the last days and it looks very interesting...

I have just ordered one of these fantastic TF test kits so I have to wait for this to arrive until I can give some meaningful information on the chemistry situation of my pool. I get too many strange readings with the strips...

I have a Pacific Sel salt water generator and a Pacific PH automatic regulator of PH. Pacific recommend a PH of 7.2 which seems quite low from what I have read on this site.

In the meantime...
I am in the south of France and we have probems occasionally here with Sahara Sand coming down in the rain. I tend to get a very fine mud on the bottom of the pool and also some in suspension. I can vacuum most of this to waste and this of course helps but then a little more appears and I have to do it again. I want to try and filter it but for the moment it goes straight through. I have tried floculant but I find this clouds the water and I have to shut the system down for some days to enable it all to settle and then I can vacuum to waste... It should not be this difficult...

I have tried using Celatom DE and followed as best I can the instuctions. The only problem that I have is that the pool is overflowing into 2 large 2.5 tonne containers (in the pool room) that are used to make sure that the pump is always well primed. I poured the slurry into the skimmer that then went into these containers and I feel that the slurry became too diluted before it went into the filter. I did not notice any rise in pressure despite respecting the instructions concerning the amount of DE with regard to the filter size.

If I undo the lid on the filter do you think it is possible to pour the slurry directly into the filter?

Secondly I notice that the working pressure of the filter written on the side is 28 PSI. I normally see only about 15 PSI. Should I shut in on the discharge to the pool to increase the filter pressure?

I know I won't really get to the bottom of everything until I get the test kit but hopefully I can clean up the water a little in the meantime to be sure that the filter etc is working as it should.

Thanks for all for your help.

Jonathan

Welcome to TFP!

Lower filter pressures are better. It sounds like your filter is designed for a maximum working pressure of 28 PSI, but it will actually work better at lower pressures. So, no need to do anything here.

Pouring DE slurry directly into the filter is fine, it just gets to be too much work doing that at all frequently. Most of the DE you added through the skimmer probably settled to the bottom of the containers, I would call them surge tanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.