Pebblesheen start-up - when to jump in?

friendswoodnewbie

LifeTime Supporter
We will be filling our pool in a few weeks for the first time and I have been trying to figure out when it is recommended to jump in. From Pool School it says (rather clearly :) ) not to swim during the break-in period but on the other hand I have read about people jumping into their new PebbleSheen/PebbleTec pool right after it is filled.
I understand that heater and SWG should not be operated for the first 15-30 days but what about swimming/walking on the plaster.
What are the concerns? Will we leave footprints or disturb the curing process?

Plaster gets firmer quickly, but it takes a very long time to reach it's final strength. Just how quickly that process happens depends somewhat on the plaster mix. For a typical mix, during the first few hours the surface is quite soft and very easily deformed. After about 24 hours, and for the next couple of days, it is quite firm but can still be damaged with your bare hand if you really tried. After about a month it is safe from anything that would tend to happen in normal use, but can still be damaged by say a hammer and chisel far more easily than it would be after a year.

There are two risks to swimming early on. One is that a sharp kick or poke could deform the surface of the pool, that risk is pretty much gone after a week. The other is that the chemistry is fairly unstable during the first month and it is difficult to guarantee that the water is safe to swim in (unless you add enough chemicals to risk affecting the curing process). All that said, lots of people get in their pool after 24 hours and nothing goes wrong.

For Pebble:
I always recommend waiting till it is completely filled and filtering prior to people getting in.
Our installers use a polishing pad on what looks like a gas powered weed eater to polish the surface. Then they pressure wash it. Obviously they are walking on the surface this whole time. This is the day after it was plastered. So no worries about physical damage.
If it is not full and the water, and is sloshing around, or kids playing with the hose, can cause different rates of hydration which can cause lines and streaking for a while.
Also sheen will stain easy in the first couple of days if dirt sits in one place. (wet feet attract dirt)
Biggest problem with this is dogs. I don't know how many times I have had to acid wash dog prints from the top step of new jobs.
Enjoy your new pool.

It sounds like waiting a few days would be reasonably safe assuming the kids don't bring the hard and heavy toys into the pool. I could see the dirty feet happening but we could have a little clean-off basin on the decking if they have been in the dirt.

I just have a feeling that not allowing anybody in the water for a month would be virtually impossible (myself included.... :-D )

I am definitely aware that splashing or interrupting the filling can cause problems - hopefully the filling will start on a Monday so the pool can be ready by the following weekend. We are still a few weeks out - just trying to be prepared..... :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.