Can I add salt to a chlorine pool?

dorpo75

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2009
NE Ohio
I haven't opened my pool yet as it is "spring" but the temps are reading 28 :rant:

So here is my question: I have an above ground pool and maintain it with the BBB method, but want to add salt as I hear it makes the water "softer" in feel. How do I go about doing that? Is there a formula, a method, a preferred brand of salt? Is it just wishful thinking on my part to be able to do this?

Thanks for the answers.

It has been recommended on this forum before that for adding salt to improve the feel of the water, you would want to add enough salt to get you to 2000 ppm. Because most pools also have a residual level of salt in the water already, it is a good idea to have a sample tested to determine the salinity of the water to start so that you don't add more salt than you would need to. Because I have used bleach for so long in my pool, the salt level in my pool is around 700 ppm.

The Pool Calculator can help you determine how much salt to add to get you where you need to be.

If you have your water tested for salt first, that would prevent adding too much. If you're at 0 ppm of salt, adding 25 lbs per 2,000 gallons, you should get to 1500 ppm of salt. Some people have reported feeling the benefits of just adding salt at around 1000 ppm too. It's really all personal preference.

Can somebody confirm if there are issues doing this in regards to any corrosion on the heater/steps etc. I use the same BBB method and want to make the water softer but pool stores tell me if I was to have a dedicated SWG, I would need an anode or something to ensure to keep corrosion at a minimum.
Is this all bollocks like I've heard before from them and can just trust this place to add about 1500ppm for that softer feel without dropping $800 on an swg. The money would be much better spent on beers and a big green egg ;)

thanks in advance.

oh - where are people getting the salt from for the best price out of interest?

FIrst, the salt level used without a SWG is around 2,000, noticeably lower than the salt level used with a SWG, which is around 3,000. Second, even at SWG levels of salt there are hardly ever problems. The main risk is to some kinds of natural stone work using softer stone. Anodes are not commonly used even with a SWG. There are some cases where you have a lot of aluminum in direct contact with the water where you might want an anode, but that isn't at all common.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm glad I came across this thread as I totally skipped over anything to do with salt and SWG when reading Pool School as I am using chlorine and UV system (figured salt was a no go).

By adding salt to my pool does it essentially turn my pool into a salt water pool (like using a SWG) with the exception that bleach provides sanitation instead of the SWG converting salt to chlorine?

The reason I never went with a SWG was 3 out of 4 pool installers in my area talked me out of it stating that they have come across several pools that have had rusted panels from the salt water run off getting under the deck and to the back side of the panel or behind the liner if there is a rip or the liner is coming off the coping.

I'd like to be able to experience the soft skin and other perks of the salt water that I always hear about.

Adding salt, without a SWG, gives the water what many people describe as a silky feel, but it doesn't give you any of the other advantages of a SWG. For example you can't use lower FC levels with salt the way you can with a SWG.

We were also told by 5 different pool builders that they would not put a salt water pool in because of the corrosive effects, so we went with chlorine too. We also have lots of flagstone and an iron gate very close to the pool not to mention lots of metal furniture. I've been using the BBB method and would like to introduce potassium chloride to my chlorine pool for softer water. If I do this, would I still get the corrosive effects like salt is "supposed" to have?

so whats the reports of users and salt around pools? and negative effects of the salt? The corrosivness of salt still concerns me but I want to add it at a lower concentration 1000-2000ppm for that feel!

I don't have a lot going around pool that is metal, but galvanized panels and aluminum step rail cups. Should i see issues long term at all? Say over next 5-10 yrs??

We live in Houston and just built our pool 6 months ago. We met with 10 builders and only two of them would even put in a saltwater pool, so we opted for chlorine. They all said that within 5-7 years you completely have to replace all your coping and natural stone. Not sure about the low levels of salt; however, if you are using the bbb method you are adding salt to your pool and the borates make the water feel great too.

Reactions: JDonte
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.