How important is CYA when shocking, other questions, results

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I just tested for CYA and found I have zero. The black dot never disappeared. I failed the overnight test as well as I lost 2 ppm. This morning around 8 am I tested and it was at 10.5. I tested about 1215 and it was at 7. So a 3.5 PPM loss seems like a lot right now. So I am in the process of shocking and was wondering do I need to worry about CYA or not.

Each time I test for CC I get 0.

Here are the rest of my results which seems fine, with the exception of CH is a little low.

These results are from around 2 am this morning

FC-12.5
CC-0
TC-12.5
TA-110
CH-225
CYA-0 as of 8 am this morning.

Edit: Water is crystal clear. I did have an issue with my pump leaking at a seal and got that fixed this AM so not sure if that would hinder any of the results.

Thanks.

Re: How important is CYA when shocking, other questions, res

Even though it is not summer yet, we are getting enough sun in the Houston area to burn off chlorine at a good clip. You need to go ahead and bump the CYA up to 30. If you want, you can use The Pool Calculator to see how much trichlor you can use to bring the CYA while you are in the shock process.

Agree with zea. Raise the CYA to 30 and use the shock level FC for a CYA of 30 to accomplish the task.

Some CYA is needed to shock an outdoor pool as it is the only way to keep any FC in there for a period of time.

257WbyMag said:
Agree with zea. Raise the CYA to 30 and use the shock level FC for a CYA of 30 to accomplish the task.

Some CYA is needed to shock an outdoor pool as it is the only way to keep any FC in there for a period of time.

Thanks for the info. I just added 4 lbs of stablizer. It showed 60 oz by weight so this is only 4 ounces more so should be just fine.

About how long will it take for the stablizer to show up on a test?

thanks.

zea3 said:
Give it about a week to show up. Dose your pool with the expected CYA level.

That is what I have done. I am consfused on how big my pool is. I am basing this off my FC test. I measure before I add bleach and then wait about 30 minutes after I add bleach and see what my number is. I thought I had a 22000 gallon pool based off of my measurments. But when I use my before and after FC number I get a pool that is a lot smaller.

So I dont want to overshoot the CYA by adding too much.

Also since I just added some CYA how shoudl I approach the overnight test? Keep doing it if I lose more than 1 ppm?

Thanks.

You should continue shocking at least until you pass the overnight FC loss test. To pick your target FC level, assume that you have already reached your targeted CYA level based on how much CYA you added.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You should leave any CH adjustments until shocking is over. The pool should be fine with the CH level it has for a couple of days. CH additions are sensitive to PH fluctuations possibly causing calcium clouding. Large PH fluctuations are very common during shocking.

JasonLion said:
You should leave any CH adjustments until shocking is over. The pool should be fine with the CH level it has for a couple of days. CH additions are sensitive to PH fluctuations possibly causing calcium clouding. Large PH fluctuations are very common during shocking.

I know any FC level over 10 then pH is not have good test reliability. Do I need to worry about pH at this time?

Thanks.

You should be done shocking pretty soon...just check PH when FC is below 10ppm and adjust then if needed :goodjob:

I may need more shocking time but I think I should be done soon as well. Today I was trying to fix a pipe connected to my booster pump. A whole lot of DE got back into the pool. It seems to be clearing up now, but I did run the manual vac that conencts to the pump to suck back up the DE that settled to the bottom of the pool. Is this something that may cause me to have to shock longer? Also what can DE settled on the bottom of a pool do? I know there is no tear in my grids as when the pump is one no DE gets back into the pool.

Thanks.

A little excess DE in the pool for a few hours won't have any effect on how long you need to shock. If it sat there for days it could have some effect. For the most part extra DE is just unsightly, but if it sits around long enough undistrubed it can become the catalyst for the formation of a biofilm that supports bacterial growth.

Well shocking is done. Only lost .5 PPM over night. My levels are high right at 21 FC so will let it drop on its own. The CYA should start showing up towards the end of the week. Added 5 lbs in weight of CYA so that should bring it up to around 30 or so.

I will do another check tomorrow morning just to be sure on my results.

JasonLion said:
Congratulations!

Thanks.

This winter I need to do a better job at keeping with testing. I did not test near enough during the winter. I guess I just got used to not losing hardly any chlorine when cold that I just got very lax on testing.

Now that I am done with the shocking, should I worry about CH yet? My FC was 12 as of yesterday. Still waiting for it to get under 10 so I can test and adjust pH some.

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.