How important is CYA when shocking, other questions, results

Re: How important is CYA when shocking, other questions, res

Well everything is now looking good. PH is around 7.6 and FC finally came down to 7, 1 above what I like to keep it at of 6. I know with a CYA of lets say 40 the FC is 5, but I always like to keep it at 6 just to be sure and never let it fall below the min. So I will be adding in some hardness up to bring up my CH to 350 from 225. Per the pool calculator it says to add about 20 lbs by weight. Actually it shows almost 21, but I am going off a lower gallon amount of pool volume to not overshoot by accident.

A few question.

After you add hardness plus for CH increasing it, how long does it take before it shows up when testing? Also when you add this, you should put pool water in a bucket and mix the hardness plus in the water and then pour in front of a jet in the pool?

Also is it possible to not lose any FC during the day? I tested last night and then tested tonight and got the exacty same result showing no loss of FC. This seems unsual, but I am sure it can happen.

When adding calcium chloride to increase the calcium hardness, you usually want to wait 24 hours before retesting the calcium level. Allow the pump to run for at least 8 hours after adding the calcium chloride. Do not add anything else within 8 hours of adding the calcium chloride, especially pH up (sodium carbonate).

I prefer to mix the calcium chloride in a bucket of water first, as this gives a much better result. However, the calcium gets hot as it dissolves and can be dangerous if you mix up too much at one time. As long as you limit the amount of calcium chloride to 1.5 pounds per 4 gallons of water, you won't experience overheating. The mix should turn completely clear and you can pour the mix in front of a return on in the deep end.

Your FC loss over a 24 hour period can be below the testing precision of the test and would therefore register as no loss. If you have FAS-DPD, you can use a larger sample size (25 ml) to get a higher precision of 0.2 ppm or even 0.1 ppm if you use a 50 ml sample size.

During colder weather and/or if the pool is covered, the loss can be fairly low.

20 pounds of calcium chloride dihydrate will raise your calcium hardness by 75 ppm. So, from 225 ppm to 300 ppm. What is your water temperature? What CSI are you going for? You don't want to add too much. You can always add more, but getting it out isn't so easy. I wouldn't go any higher than 300 ppm.

During the winter when my covered pool was at around 50ºF, I only lost around 1 ppm FC every 2 weeks so that would be only 0.07 ppm in 24 hours so below the 0.2 detection and error limit of the test (using a 25 ml sample size).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.