Opinions on Hayward Swimclear 425 sq. ft. cartridge filter

Re: Opinions on Hayward Swimclear 425 sq. ft. cartridge filt

We've had the C4025 filter for just about a year now. This is our first pool so I dont really have any data to compare it with. But we havent had any issues with the filter and it's a snap to clean.
I would just make sure they are selling you the right size filter. I think I've read on this site numerous times that you should get the biggest filter you can afford.
I'm sure one of the experts will chime in soon.

EDIT Jason has chimed in :mrgreen:

I have the c4025 with a 20k pool so nearly the same as yours. I clean mine now once per year with almost no change in filter pressure. I am pretty happy with it.

Sounds similar to the Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420, which I own and Josh recommends above. Lots of surface area, and so far excellent filtration in that unit. For my money, I've been very happy with the Pentair. That said, given the size, I'm sure it's apples to apples.

Thanks for the feedback. We are going to be replacing this filter next swim season as long as ours makes it through the season. I really like this place I went to and have the lowest prices on everything I have bought including chemicals. They have very good customer service and even knows me by name when I walk in. he seems to know all his customers by name when they walk in. I have gotten a price for install of this filter for under 1000.00.

mynewpool said:
I have gotten a price for install of this filter for under 1000.00.

That seems kinda high. I got my CCP420 for $650, bought $25 worth of piping and fittings and did it myself in about 20 minutes. PVC is VERY easy to work with and I put unions on both ends of my setup so it's easy to swap out individual components (like filters, pumps, etc.) I bet you could do this for under $700 if you wanted to do the work yourself.

Denis

denisbaldwin said:
mynewpool said:
I have gotten a price for install of this filter for under 1000.00.

That seems kinda high. I got my CCP420 for $650, bought $25 worth of piping and fittings and did it myself in about 20 minutes. PVC is VERY easy to work with and I put unions on both ends of my setup so it's easy to swap out individual components (like filters, pumps, etc.) I bet you could do this for under $700 if you wanted to do the work yourself.

Denis

Well this is not something I would feel comfortable doing myself. So the price for the filter is around 750.00 and install is another 150.00. I would rather have someone do it as if I have any issues then I have a place to go to for warranty issues. So the price is close to around 900.00

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I replace our 425sf hayward cartridge filter with the Pentair 520 cartridge filter and couldnt be happier . the 425 was undersized for our 36k gal pool and caused the 425 to have to be cleaned much more frequently to maintain pump efficiency especially when running the solar heat system.

GVC, you must have a lot of stuff dropping in the pool for a 425 to be undersized for a 36k pool. May I ask where you live and the surrounding conditions (e.g. heavily forested with a construction site next door :shock: )? Are you sure your old filter wasn't just calcified?

all I know is that with the old hayward 425, the pressure increased pretty quickly after cleaning and when the psi rose about 10 or 12 , the pump would struggle a bit due to the clogged/dirty filter cartridges especially when trying to push the water to the roof using the solar heat. cleaning the filter would make a world of difference,but I was having to clean it every 2 or 3 months. there is a lot of landscaping in our back yard and neighbors and the wind will blow quite a bit in spring/fall during the change in seasons. in the spring, there is a lot of smaller debris and pollen that blows into the pool. the fall/winter winds will blow a lot of dead stuff. The original pool builder installed a Jandy 460sf filter and the previous owner had downsized it with the hayward 425. But with the pentair 500, the pressure has remained the same since install date (about 3 months now) so at this rate, I should be able to get by without cleaning it for a least 6 or 9 months ?

Can I ask how easy is it to open and to get the cartridges out?

I am about to get a Hayward Swimclear 4025 and getting older. Need to plan for less strength and flexibility.

Thanks

Not too hard. There is a compression band around the middle that has a nut which comes off easily with a socket wrench. The top portion needs to be lifted off and it isn't too heavy but a little awkward to handle. The filters themselves are fairly light if you let the water drain from the housing.

Sorry for digging up and old thread but I wanted feedback from Swim Clear owners.

I'm considering making the switch from sand to the C5030 425 sqft Cartridge system.

Had any of you previously been sand before going to Swim Clear? Any regrets?

I only have a 4 1/2 month swim season at best, given that type of use. How many years should the 4 filters last?

I found a 4 pack of replacement filters on ebay for about 190ish shipped, is that the lowest it gets, do I have to be worried about the quality of the replacement filter?

Well I have not had to clean it yet so I can comment on that. My pressure has risen like very, very slightly and have not taken it apart to clean. I have not noticed the water looking any less clean with the new filter. So I say it works well for me. I do plan on opening it up and cleaning it since swim season is about to start.

mynewpool said:
Well I have not had to clean it yet so I can comment on that. My pressure has risen like very, very slightly and have not taken it apart to clean. I have not noticed the water looking any less clean with the new filter. So I say it works well for me. I do plan on opening it up and cleaning it since swim season is about to start.

Thanks, but did you have a sand system prior?

Or did any of you guys? And no regret? I know the Swim Clear system is supposed to be a step above other cartridge systems.

I also wanted to know how long these filters are lasting, cheapest I can find a 4 pack on ebay is about 190ish shipped, I want to make sure these things last a good amount of years, if not I want to make sure the experience is worth the expense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.