getting pool...have a few questions?

oasis1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Central Illinois
We are getting a 15x30 Sentinelle installed in a few weeks.. in our package the Nature 2 purifier is included, we are not getting it though. We are going to do the BBB method..what is the "Liquidator" and do we need it? I just want to be as prepared as possible. I believe the filter/pump is 1 1/2 hp, is that good?

thanks in advance

Welcome Oasis :wave:

a 1.5 hp pump on a AGP is too large IMO. Most AGPs can get by just fine with a 3/4hp pump. The filter they are including is likely not oversized either, so I would advise getting a smaller pump and a larger filter. Good move on not getting the nature 2 and the liquidator is not something you need to BBB, but it helps automate dosing of liquid chlorine. Your other alternative is to get a SWG, or just dose liquid chlorine manually :goodjob:

thanks dmanb2b!

Regarding getting a smaller pump and larger filter, that's kind of what i understood from reading posts here. There's so much information I kind of get confused!! :?: This is our first pool and I want to make sure we do everything right before its installed rather than later.
Is the tf100 test kit something i need to get, I'm sure there is some sort of testing kit included in my pool package. Does the Liquidator replace us having to manually put in the bleach? We have to fill the pool from hose, so installer said it'll take about a day and a half. When do I test the water and start adding chemicals? What chemicals do I need on hand day of install? One more question, I've read alot of people test their water and add bleach/other chemicals (if needed) and run filter in the evening, is that the best time to do this?

Thanks

The TF100 (tftestkits.net) is IMO opinion one of the best investments you can make for your pool as it will enable you to accurately measure your water chemistry at home :goodjob: It will pay for itself over and over as I have not purchased chemicals at the pool store in over two seasons. The key to BBB is knowing the state of your water and how to adjust it...sadly, unlike the pool store would have you believe, you can adjust it with items right of the supermarket shelf. If you have not already done so, take a read through pool school (button on upper right of this page). As far as chemicals needed, some unscented bleach or chlorinating liquid and some CYA, as you fill water will have neither enough chlorine in it, if any, or stabilizer (aka CYA). Depending on your fill water levels you may also need muratic acid, baking soda or borax, but no need to stock up on those just yet.

I run a SWG, so don;t have much experience with the liquidator, although more than a few folks here do and I'm sure they will chime in soon

Welcome to the forum :lol:

If it's not too late, it really is a good idea to review the builder's pump/filter selection. Too often, they simply sell horsepower and they themselves don't really understand the value of a decent, small (about .75hp like dman suggested) pump paired with a filter that will exceed the pumps capacity. This is a bit of oversimplification but a .75 hp pump will produce somewhere around 60-75 gpm (I think). Then, you would choose a filter that that has a rated capacity of around 90+ gpm. It's a very confusing part of equipment selection so don't hesitate to post back until we help you get it clear.

I would strongly suggest you hold off on the liquidator at a later date. you will not save any money by putting it in now and you may find you didn't want it, after all.

Prior to the fill, you should have on hand a GOOD test kit (the one the builder gives you simply will not be adequate even though he/she might believe it is). BBB is all about very careful and accurate testing. Naturally, I am prejudice towards the TF-100 but the K-2006 kit by Taylor is good, too.

The other item you should have on hand is a few large jugs of Clorox.

That's all you need.

As dman suggested, read the "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" found in Pool School. It'll be hard to absorb everything the first time but stick with it and ask us a lot of questions and you will be off to a great start

oasis1 said:
thank you so much dmanb2b and duraleigh!!!! :-D

My "pool" confidence is slowly rising! I will definately read up on the pump/filter section.

Could anyone suggest a good pool vacuum?

I have a Baracuda Ranger automatic pool cleaner that I use with a leaf canister. It is a bit tempermental and tends to get caught on the stairs, so I spend more time babysitting it than I like when it runs. You can use a manual vacuum for vinyl pools or look into one of the robotic pool cleaners designed for above ground pools.

I love my pool rover jr. Drop it in, come back in two hours and the floor is spotless, thanks to that little machine, I rarley find the need to manually vacum (only after a bad storm and if there is A LOT of debris in the pool, will I give the robot a break :whip: ) :mrgreen:

Thanks again everyone!! We are having 2 drains on the bottom of our pool, the installer said that will help alot with not having to vacuum as much. We are heading up to the pool store today, to make sure we are getting the liner we want and ask a few more questions. I will definately take a look at the pool rover jr.!!!
I'll post again later :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Definitely get the TF test kit! I think his name was Dave (please forgive me if I'm wrong....I am old) and he was very helpful. Last year was my first year with a pool, and after using the BBB method and enjoying a whole summer of sparkling water, I'll never use anything else!!! Enjoy your pool and don't listen to the "Pool Store". Everything I needed I found on here, with the help of some very nice and knowledgeable people! Cheers!

artattacktat2 said:
I think his name was Dave (please forgive me if I'm wrong....I am old) and he was very helpful. Last year was my first year with a pool, and after using the BBB method and enjoying a whole summer of sparkling water, I'll never use anything else!!!

aka Duraleigh, aka owner of TFP, aka super cool dude with great customer service at tftestkits.net ...no, not a paid commercial :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.