Please help me select a new pump.. Pics included of old one

Feb 28, 2011
Hello.. When I purchased the house from my father in law he stated that the pump has going bad and would need to be replaced.
In reading materials here is seems the most "green" and economical to get a two speed pump. I live in western NY so my pool season is really May- Sept if it was longer I may be interested in a variable speed but I think a two speed would suit my needs.
You can tell from the pics what I current have a 1hp Hayward single speed.

I do not have a spa or any water features. I have no idea about voltage but do know that this one is plugged in. The piping coming out is 1 1/2 inches or so it says on the PVC.

2011-03-25_11-55-31_404.jpg

2011-03-25_11-56-26_775.jpg

2011-03-25_11-56-31_505.jpg

I would like to be able to just switch over to a new pump and call it a day. I am not brand loyal to anything. Please help us
DSC03017.jpg

You would not want that pretty lady swimming in stagnant water would you?

Re: Please help me select a new pump.. Pics included of old

Just wanted to say welcome to TFP fellow NY'er :wave:

You'll likely do just fine with a 1hp 2speed. Pentair Wisperflo seems to be pretty popular. Our pump experts will be along shortly if you need a specific model number to go by :goodjob:

Candi, thanks they are wonderful but a handful!
Dmanb2b, NY full of taxes and short pool seasons! I am looking for that exactly a model so I can order it and be ready!

This is great! I'm on the same trajectory as mrpunchy and have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out flow, head, pump curves, etc. I have almost the same setup, but no heater and only a 1/2 HP Superpump in need of replacement. My biggest concern is having TOO MUCH flow at full speed, as I only have a single 1.5" return line from the skimmer to the pump, and I read that max suggested flow for that size is 42 GPM. Based on the pump curves I’ve seen, the 0.75 HP (full rated) WhisperFlow will move 70 GPM at 50 feet of head (my working assumption, based on no heater, no features, moderate length runs from pad to pool, etc).

So, am I asking for trouble with that much flow? What if I only run at full speed when I’m using my pole vacuum (you know, the triangular deal on the end of the pole) and low speed the rest of the time?

Oh, filter is old Rainbow Plastics cartridges, 8 of ‘em, total 100 square feet, apparently designed for 100 GPM.

Thanks,
Mr. Backyardchemist (the wife is the one who keeps it all running smoothly!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Our current pump is a 1 hp Hayward super pump.

When the time comes to replace that pump, I will likely replace it with a 1 hp/ 2 speed super pump.
At that time I will also upgrade the Intermatic timer to support the 2 speed pump.

That sounds right. Hayward's web site is down at the moment so I can't double check, but my memory is that only the above ground pumps are available in 2 speed 115 volt.

Pentair only has one pump in each model line that is 2 speed 115 volt, with all of the others being 230 volt. No one makes dual voltage 2 speed pumps because that would require extra sets of motor windings.

This is very helpful, folks. A couple of follow-up questions:

1. The Pentair whisperflow that I like (WFDS-3) for is 2" suction/discharge, but I'm 99% sure my current intake is 1.5". Any concerns with using an adaptor when I put in the new pump? Might it create a low pressure spot as the line size increases that would be bad for the pump, cause cavitation, etc.?

2. Poolschoolgrad mentions upgrading the timer to support the two-speed pump. I had assumed the speed switch is on the pump itself. Is a timer upgrade a necessity? I don't mind doing it, just need to know to plan (and budget) for it.

Thanks!

mrpunchy said:
so I was just at the pool store and the guy told me I can't get a 2 speed Hayward that is not 230v. Could that be true?

I've also just learned that you need to have a 2-speed timer, because the 2-speed pumps won't prime on low speed. So, you either need to be manually switching down to low speed after getting it running, or add $180 for a 2-speed timer (e.g., Intermatic T10604R), BUT, the timers are only 230V!!! So, looks like a change of wiring will be necessary to get to 2-speed operation, realistically. Major drag, and more expense.

Once primed the system should stay primed. Normally a two speed pump is used with a normal timer and a manual switch to switch between speeds. You manually switch it to high speed any time you are priming after having the pump strainer basket open or when you are vacuuming and otherwise leave it on low speed.

To get a rebate in California you do need a timer that can control a two speed pump. You also need a two speed timer if you have something that requires high speed every day (not sure what that would be though).

Using a pump with 2" connections on 1 1/2" plumbing is just fine. You just give it a foot or so of 2" on the inlet and a couple of inches on the outlet and then reduce it down to 1 1/2" to connect to the existing plumbing.

JasonLion, your response suggests that you are assuming the pump runs 24/7. This was not my assumption. With our old single-speed, we ran it about 12 hours per day once we had everything stable after opening. 25,000 gallons at 30 gpm (low-speed, based on pump curve) is just over 12 hours for a complete change, so I was hoping to stick with similar run time after the switch. I'd like the pump to be able to come on and off each day and run at low-speed, automatically, which as you say would require the 2-speed timer.

No I am not assuming that the pump runs 24/7. It should be possible to turn the pump off for as long as you care to have it off and for it still to have prime and start up on low speed without problems every time. If the pump is losing prime while just sitting there, there is a leak that should be fixed.

You haven't mentioned anything that should require high speed except when you will be around. The only two normal uses for high speed are after you clean the pump strainer basket, and thus lose prime, or when you are vacuuming. Without solar or a waterfall, or something specific which requires high speed, a normal single speed timer and a manual high/low switch should be just fine.

As a general rule, when you switch from a single speed pump to a two speed pump you want to run the two speed pump on low speed for twice as long as you used to run the single speed pump. That is never exactly right, but it is a good starting point.

Thanks, that's very helpful, particularly the part about losing the prime. You are correct that I have no need for high speed when the pool is unattended. I suspect I do have a leak on the suction side, based on losing prime (slowly) when the pump is off and the presence of fine bubbles in the return jets. If I can fix that, maybe I'll be allright! Thanks again, this is a great resource!

I think I am stuck getting a single speed. The season is so short up here anyway. My father in law turned the pump on in Mid May and shut it off after Labor day. I think I will just follow the same plan. Any suggestions for a single speed efficient 110volt hayward?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.