Broken Wires to Saltcell

Mar 24, 2011
First timer. The dumb dog ate my wires connecting the saltcell to the controller or something else. Not sure what everything is. Actually have not even looked at it since my wife has been dealing with it. Most of the wires are different colors but there are two black wires.

Had two techs come out to check it out. One guy said no way - buy a new cell for $800 bucks. Other guy said he could take a shot to reconnect the wires for $60. It is about 4 years old, so we were hoping to get by for another year or two. So we are considering trying the guy for $60.

Then the pool cleaner guy came by and kinda freaked out at the idea of us trying to reconnect the wires, like it was going to electricute him or something. Mentioned possible water in the lines? Anyway. Looking for recommendations. I'd like to have the guy try to fix the wires, but let me know if that is crazy. I am sure I am not providing enough details, but give me a gut level feel on whether it is typical to try to repair wires or not. We are scraping by to pay uncle sam. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

It is possible to patch the wires, but you need to do a through job or there will be problems later. Power to the cell is fairly high current, so you need a good connection or they will melt. You should also seal the patch so it is waterproof.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.