How can I update my concrete?

Sep 12, 2010
Hi everyone. My pool was built in the early-mid 70's. I bought this house at the tail end of last summer. It's really dated and kind of stupid looking. If I intend on having people over for years to come and swim in my pool, I'd like it to look a bit more decent. I'm also not made of money so I'd like to be able to do some of the work myself.

The concrete is that typical "salt thrown" pockmarked look, but all of it is this gross redish orangish. It isn't paint, but rather almost a clayish type concrete. Really dumb I think. The neighbor behind me has a similar thing, but he painted his a baby blue color. It looks kind of cheesy and I'd rather avoid that. Is there any way to make this stuff look good without the paint? I'd also like to replace the tile sometime soon. I've done tile flooring by the butt load so I think I can do this myself too. Is it pretty straight forward?

If its colored concrete then your options would be some type of coating or paint. I would get a quote for kool decking or some type of faux finish. It'll cost a bit more but you will be a lot happier in the long run. It could possibly be a DIY project if you have the knowledge, time and equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.