Goldline Control & Northstar PUMP 2 Speed control problem

Mar 23, 2011
Equipment:
Hayward Northstar 2 speed 2 1/2 HP pump.
Hayward/Goldline AQL-PS-8-X288 Automatic Controller

2 Speed wiring is correct according to manual using the second aux relay.
I found that a 1 speed motor had been programmed so I change it to a 2 Speed motor by properly selected it in the Menus config. section for both SPA and Pool Filters.
Verified proper programming.
Verified proper wiring of the pump relay and low speed relay.
Problems:
Low speed has never worked and has been running the pool for 3 years without the cost savings of a low speed filter operation.
High speed is always initiated and wiring is hot on terminals 1&2 as shown on motor plate(1 is common 220V)
Switching to low speed (pushing button) causes the low speed relay to apply power to the low speed motor winding (terminal 3) but the High speed remains hot as well on motor terminals (2). This causes the motor to pop the resettable breaker after a considerable hum.
Testing with voltmeter:
I disconnected the motor , engaged the low speed and verified that both terminals 2&3 on the motor were hot with respect to terminal 1 (common)
Also the low speed relay drops out after 3 minutes which is what is supposed to happen to the high speed but this relay only turns on when manually selecting low speed.

Has any one seen this problem before when using the Goldline (now Hayward) AQL controller. Is there a problem associated with programming the AUX relays?

Re: Goldline Control & Northstar PUMP 2 Speed control proble

There are two things you need to setup in the controller. First, in the configuration menu, you need to set the filter pump config to 2 speed which I think you said that you did. However, for the low speed relay, you also need to set the function of that relay to be low speed. So if you put low speed on Aux 3, in the config menu for Aux 3, you need to set function to be low speed. This tells the control which Aux is for low speed.

mas985 said:
There are two things you need to setup in the controller. First, in the configuration menu, you need to set the filter pump config to 2 speed which I think you said that you did. However, for the low speed relay, you also need to set the function of that relay to be low speed. So if you put low speed on Aux 3, in the config menu for Aux 3, you need to set function to be low speed. This tells the control which Aux is for low speed.

Mark:

I am reading the manual but cannot find that instruction. The low speed relay does turn ON when you request low speed do it seems like that is OK. The problem is the main pump relay which is used for high speed stays on. I do see what you are saying and I just need to digest it a little longer and dive a little deeper into the manual.

Thanks for the extremely quick reply!

The manual should tell you how to setup for two speed, at least mine does. But to summarize again, you need to set the filter pump function to 2 speed AND the Aux function to low speed in two separate menu areas. When setup properly, the Aux button for low speed is disabled. You then set low speed by pressing the filter button a second time. The filter light will then start to blink indicating you are now in low speed. If you were able to press the Aux button and low speed went on but High speed did not shut off, then you did not set the Aux function to be low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.