New Pool - What to stock and ancillary tools for the shed

Red Shirt Ensign

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2011
So we are getting a new pool 24' Above Ground 54" Impulse Ovation Resin and Aluminum pool from litehouse (A local chain in NE Ohio)
I plan on Doing BBB and I know I will be getting the TF-100 Test kit.

So new pool is about 13500 Gallons ...how much Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda, Mur. Acid etc... should I stock on hand
both for initial setup and for up to a season worth of stock (Roughly)

Also, what type of measuring Cups, Scales (for items measured in weight etc...) are you using?

I plan on adding a counter in my shed for keeping my notes and history , mixing, measuring etc... so what does everyone else have (Pics are always good!)

Also Anyone else here as geeky as me and using Excel to track test history and chem costs as I plan to do?

Thanks for all your inputs!

Re: New Pool - What to stock and ancillary tools for the she

I'm by no means a geek :oops: - my measure is usually guessing tho I do have a 2 cup plastic measure cup on hand :wink: .
You don't want to store too much bleach at once - as it loses strength exposed to the elements (unless your shed has central air.) I usually keep 2-4 jugs on hand.

2 large jugs of 6% should be more than enough to get you swimming from a chlorine standpoint. You want to test your fill water, using the TF100 and use those results to enter into the Pool Calculator to determine how much of each chem you are going to need.

Once you know your fill water results - you go from there. You will for sure need at least 5 lbs of CYA and you can get that at Walmart in the Pool Section. Go ahead and get two jugs because it comes in 4 lb cannisters - but it stores well.

Hope this helps :goodjob:

No need in loading the wagon yet till you see what your pool numbers are. I only store a couple weeks supply of bleach in the garage in the summer at a time due to heat. You might want to find a gallon jug graduated in ounces for adding muriatic acid down the road and you can use it for less than a gallon of bleach on those slow days too. You can use the measuring cup on the CYA jug to add that.

Candi said:
mynewpool said:
When you order the TF100 kit make sure to get the speed stir as well with your oder.

huh? What is speed stir?

It is something that makes test that you have to swirl so much easier. It makes sure your test sample gets mixed and swirled a lot easier than manually doing it.

Here you go

http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magneti ... r-p56.html

230.jpg

mynewpool said:
It is something that makes test that you have to swirl so much easier. It makes sure your test sample gets mixed and swirled a lot easier than manually doing it.

I just ordered my TF-100 and opted not to purchase the speed stirrer. How many tests require swirling? Is this device critical for accurate readings?

Not critical at all. It makes testing way easier, but is really helpful for the CH test. Given you have a vinyl pool, CH won't be tested much so you should be ok (takes about 5 mins to do manually with high CH levels).

I use my speedstir for FAS-DPD testing, TA and CH...CYA testing and PH/TC testing do not require swirling

mx702 said:
mynewpool said:

I just ordered my TF-100 and opted not to purchase the speed stirrer. How many tests require swirling? Is this device critical for accurate readings?

Not required but as said above makes testing a lot easier. I feel more confident with the test results I get using the stirer. Also do not have to worry about swirling and some of the same coming out of the tube especially when you do the 25 ML sample. Also helpful if you are shockin to test for high FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

One more note here, bleach and liquid chlorine break down over time (faster at higher temperatures), so you want to store it in a cool location and only keep a month or so supply on hand (sort of like how a soda goes flat). Also note due to this issue, if you get fresh from the factory bleach it will often be stronger than labelled. Also read those labels bargin bleach may be 1.5-3% vs 5-6% for standard chlorine bleach. As to measuring containers it depends on the size of the pool, with a small pool you may be dealing in cups, with a large pool it may be gallons, yours is mid ranged so you may want a large measuring cup, but for most things you can guestimate pouring from the bottle.

Ike

Isaac-1 said:
One more note here, bleach and liquid chlorine break down over time (faster at higher temperatures), so you want to store it in a cool location and only keep a month or so supply on hand (sort of like how a soda goes flat)

Awesome! I have a CO2 tank with a 2 liter bottle fitting that I use to carbonate kool-aid. I can use my carbonator to carbonate my bleach so it won't go flat!

Noggin said:
Awesome! I have a CO2 tank with a 2 liter bottle fitting that I use to carbonate kool-aid. I can use my carbonator to carbonate my bleach so it won't go flat!

No, no. He didn't really mean "flat".

You just want to keep chlorine bleach out of the heat since it degrades faster when hot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.