Tail on Pool Cleaner

ajones02

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 4, 2010
Keller, Texas
All,

I have a Legend Kreepy Krauly and as most do it came with about a 3 foot tail or sweep. My question is can the tail be reduced in length and if so, does it have a negative impact on it performance?

The reason for the question is that when it crawls up the the wall and gets close to the water line, the tail comes out and shoot water out of the pool. I believe this is my main source of water loss over the past year and want to try and limit this. Also, the water more often than not ends up on the windows and storm door on the back of the house and needs to be cleaned multiple times a week. One of the pool builders we had bid on our pool project mentioned that since we wanted salt water that the pool cleaner would need a shorter tail to reduce the amount of water coming from the pool.

So, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as always! :cheers:

I have the same problem with a Polaris 280. I believe there is a weight that Polaris makes to attach to the tail. In water the weight doesn't matter much, but it does keep the end from going above the water line. If Kreepy Krauly doesn't make a weight perhaps the Polaris weight would work for you.

Also, in cool/cold water the hoses are stiffer and the problem may be worse. I found a good section in this link.

The amount of water coming out of the tail should be adjustable. I'm not 100% sure of how to do this on the Kreepy unit. On a Polaris you should see a small thumb screw near the tail and the tighter you make it the less water will come out of it -- reducing the speed/velocity at which it whips out of the pool.

JoshU said:
The amount of water coming out of the tail should be adjustable. I'm not 100% sure of how to do this on the Kreepy unit. On a Polaris you should see a small thumb screw near the tail and the tighter you make it the less water will come out of it -- reducing the speed/velocity at which it whips out of the pool.
^THIS! But it usually increases the speed of the cleaner. I know of some poeple that don't like it moving around that fast, it skips some spots of their pool going at warp speed.

DBfan187 said:
JoshU said:
^THIS! But it usually increases the speed of the cleaner. I know of some poeple that don't like it moving around that fast, it skips some spots of their pool going at warp speed.

Once the tail is adjusted you need to adjust the wall fitting where the Polaris connects to the return jet of the pool to bypass more water directly to the pool instead of into the hose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.