Hayward Heat pump E5900

jongig

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 27, 2010
I have quite a large solar system, which is set up to heat the pool we just installed last fall. It's a in ground 16,000 gallon pool. We fully insulated the pool in the ground and plan on using a solar cover. We also insulated all of the pipes to and from the pool. I also built the concrete pad large enough for a heat pump because on the cloudy days I'd like to have the option of heating. We don't have gas or propane to use because the house is geothermal and solar.

I found this Hayward E5900 50K BTU heat pump and I'm not sure I can pass up the cost, $600. Is there any reason not to buy something like this? It doesn't seem beat up and the guy needs to sell it because they are moving.

I don't normally buy used equipment but this seems like a deal I am having a hard time passing up.

Thanks.

jongig said:
I don't normally buy used equipment but this seems like a deal I am having a hard time passing up.

Thanks.

Considering the market for a product like that I'd offer $400

It's quite a bit small for you pool, but if you can get it to knock the chill off for that cheap it may be worth it.

I would advise you to size the utilities (not fuses, but wire) for a big boy heat pump for when you have to replace this one.

I agree with Racket. If you can get it for $400 I say try it out. If it's on good shape you can always sell it if it doesn't work for you. I also agree with him about upsizing the wiring so you don't have to redo it later. Because you know once you get a taste for the heat you're gonna want bigger. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.