Want to close, have algae, and sprung a leak

heatmisr

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2007
Northern NJ
I was planning to close the pool this weekend. Have some algae and shocked the pool. I got a leak in the bottom corner of the liner by one of the supports. (Probably tore it when I was brushing the walls) Got the leak patched up with some waterproof repair tape since the pool stores were all closed. The water was draining fast. I lost at least a foot of water in about 3 1/2 hours. The water level is now down to about 4" under my return. I am going to use the mesh cover this year, so that is the level I was going to drain it down to when I close it. I really don't want to fill the pool back up just so I can turn the pump back on and then drain the pool again to close it. The Cl is at shock level right now.

Any suggestions?

Nicole,

I can't help with closing....I don't close my pool.

I am very interested in the tape that stopped your leak. Did you put it on the outside or inside of the liner? What was the brand?

We tried it both ways. Couldn't get it on securely from the outside, so we put it on the inside. Stopped it right away. Just checked the pool and we haven't lost anymore water. Doesn't look the greatest, but it works.

The brand is Nashua Tape Products. It's called Waterproofing Repair Tape. It has a foil backing. I found this product sheet for it:

http://covalenceadhesives.com/Data/Tran ... e_0606.pdf

Nicole, is it possible to remove your hoses from the pump and return and run them over the side so that you can circulate from there? We did that when we initially started up our new pool to run the rust out - we had three pumps and filters running on it that way. As long as there is no chance that the intake hose will suck up some debris that gets into the pump, although the pump basket should catch some debris, you should be ok. It would need to be supervised so that it doesn't suck air and cavitate the pump. Taping down with duct tape helps. I would really want to get the algae out before closing. Dead algae in there at opening is just more organics to start some bad growth in the spring.

Thats my suggestion anyways. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Hey, this is exactly why I'm reading the forum tonight. I'm in almost the same situation wanting to close but still have some green algea remainders to address from last week (thankfully no leak or repair tape :)).

Right now I have my Baracuda semi-automatic :)-() vacuum running around the pool floor hopefully sucking up what I usually brush around. I'll go back to brush and skimmer tomorrow. I am keeping high shock level for last several days so green has largely turned to cloudy white (which is a good sign from my limited past experience). The bummer is that I don't have more than test strips so I'm putting in almost 1/2 bottle of chlorine every couple days. (probably way overkill) and just making sure the strip shows very deep purple :oops:. I'm ordering a TFP test kit tonight to remedy my newbie chemistry tactics.

I'll read around a bit, but I assume cleaning algee out first is strongly preferred. I live in the Seattle area where it rarely freezes... I suspect if I leave anything in the water it will grow as green as the trees and grass and moss and everything else we have in the northwest :-D. I still can't see much of my pool bottom (48" deep) so I bet it would be thick pea soup by next spring.

If you've ever been in this situation please reply with your experience! If you are one of the many experienced members here please let us know how important it is to close with clear water. I really don't want to spend another week clearing the pool if it will just get mucky by spring anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.