Heater Clanking sound

Jul 25, 2010
Folks,
I have a Raypak 407A, its under warranty so I'll be putting a call in but I like to try and understand what is happening. The problem is about 5 seconds after firing up the burners there is a vibration at the inlet / outlet side of the heater. It's pretty loud, heater doesn't shake but it's not far off. It sounds like someone shaking a tin of ball bearings. This noise goes on for about 3 seconds then stops, after that all is fine. The heater runs and warms the water.
Any thoughts? It is a consistent problem, will happen every time you start the heater.

Thanks

It sounds like a unitherm governor to me.

Make sure that you clean/backwash the filters, and baskets before having the warranty reps out. If its a dirty filter, you will be on the hook for the trip.

Any time that you have a reason to think that the heater might not be operating properly, you should keep it turned off until it can be checked out by a qualified technician. The heater could be damaged or cause damage to something else.

May sound like a dumb answer, but mine did the same thing last year upon opening and I had the lines reversed. Possibly not what you are seeing, but just thought I would throw my experience out there. Good luck:)

Thanks!! We ordered a unitherm governor and will replace it this weekend. The old one has scale buildup on it. I hope that fixes the problem. The warranty was only for 1 year, and the closest certified company for our heater is 125 miles away. :x I don't think the pipes need to be switched because it worked all last year. I hope this works!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Discobrian24 said:
May sound like a dumb answer, but mine did the same thing last year upon opening and I had the lines reversed. Possibly not what you are seeing, but just thought I would throw my experience out there. Good luck:)

So, my lines were also reversed. The water was going in the out and out the in. it worked for over a year. Once you fixed your lines did you have to do anything else to get it working? Could the lines being reversed cause other problems? We replaced the unitherm governor and had the pool installer fix the reversed lines, but it is still making a knocking sound.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.