Chlorination Issue in new pool

shakenbake

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2010
Austin, TX
Everything is up an running now - but we're finding that the puck based chlorinator (rainbow 320) is not working at low flow rates <40GPM. The chamber is not getting flooded, and it seems to be letting air in the system. Any thoughts on a better solution? (It's not likely I am going to convince the PB to install at liquidator).

Picture of how it's setup now:
DSC_0166_165.jpg

The water has two other paths it can take instead of going through the pipe that the chlorinator is attached to. This can cause there to be less water flow than necessary for the chlorinator to operate.

I would also caution you that it is not a good idea to use trichlor as your primary source of chlorine.

JamesW said:
The water has two other paths it can take instead of going through the pipe that the chlorinator is attached to. This can cause there to be less water flow than necessary for the chlorinator to operate.

I would also caution you that it is not a good idea to use trichlor as your primary source of chlorine.

Are you referring to the CYA buildup caused by trichlor?

Do you know if the liquidator works with lower flow rates? My assume is yes, but the data is hard to find - may be a question for that forum instead. Jason - I'm cool with moving this thread to the Liquidator section.
Moved, as requested. JasonLion

Yes, the liquidator will work at very low flow rates. The only requirement is that the pump creates some negative head so it'll draw the chlorine out of the LQ. Even if it creates almost no negative head there are a few ways of overcoming that. A venturi tee or connecting the LQ out line to the pump drain plug port.

Bama Rambler said:
Yes, the liquidator will work at very low flow rates. The only requirement is that the pump creates some negative head so it'll draw the chlorine out of the LQ. Even if it creates almost no negative head there are a few ways of overcoming that. A venturi tee or connecting the LQ out line to the pump drain plug port.

Alright, I have one on order. I've been lucky - the pool has been seriously low on chlorine for a couple weeks - the UV unit seems to be helping keep the algae at bay.

shakenbake said:
woodyp said:
Nice looking setup-----------almost looks like a nuclear facility!

Yeah, in the end it may have been easier to run three bodies of water with three pumps instead of one VSP. Had to use 6 actuators...

I'm not a real big fan of the swing check valve being installed on its side like that. Typically its best to have the swing direction to work with gravity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
shakenbake said:
woodyp said:

Yeah, in the end it may have been easier to run three bodies of water with three pumps instead of one VSP. Had to use 6 actuators...

Why 6? Are you trying to maintain 3 different temperatures?

Pool/spa/wader

Should only need 2-3

racket said:
shakenbake said:
woodyp said:

Why 6? Are you trying to maintain 3 different temperatures?

Pool/spa/wader

Should only need 2-3

1) Pool/Spa return
2) Pool/Spa drain
3) Heat-pump only (running low flow rates, we're getting the best flow out of parrallel gas/heat pump circuit, but I shunt all flow through heat pump when I use it to get best flow at lowest power)
4) Fountains on/off
5) Chiller returns on/off
6) Kiddie/Spa drain (lets us heat both spa and kiddie pool)
7) (possibly will add) Fountain via spa circuit when spa on (kids asking for it)

plubling%20and%20uv%20and%20wiring.jpg

shakenbake said:
1) Pool/Spa return
2) Pool/Spa drain
3) Heat-pump only (running low flow rates, we're getting the best flow out of parrallel gas/heat pump circuit, but I shunt all flow through heat pump when I use it to get best flow at lowest power)
4) Fountains on/off
5) Chiller returns on/off
6) Kiddie/Spa drain (lets us heat both spa and kiddie pool)
7) (possibly will add) Fountain via spa circuit when spa on (kids asking for it)

Ah man. you missed a perfect opportunity. You should really have added something like "torus", "primary containment vessel", used rods pool, .. :lol:

shakenbake said:
JamesW said:

Are you referring to the CYA buildup caused by trichlor?

Do you know if the liquidator works with lower flow rates? My assume is yes, but the data is hard to find - may be a question for that forum instead. Jason - I'm cool with moving this thread to the Liquidator section.
Moved, as requested. JasonLion

Many people use trichlor - as long as you understand WHAT it is and WHAT it puts in your pool, and how to correctly deal with the effects of using trichlor. It's also slightly more expensive, but convenient. It's a personal choice, really. If it's its simply a matter of a defective unit and you want to keep using it, the choice is your's. You just have to monitor your levels and keep the PH/TA in check. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.