Opening Pool Baqua to BBB

Mar 19, 2011
Cave City, KY
The weather here has warmed up nicely and it is time to start thinking about opening the pool. :-D The pool was installed last year and we used Baqua. There were no troubles last year, but I thought the price was high and we have had a previous Baqua pool that was nothing but trouble after two years. So, I thought that this year we would give the BBB method a try. Currently the pool is still covered and winterized.

I see first step is to get a test kit. I have decided on the TF-100. I see that there are some options when purchasing. Do I need the magnetic stirrer, borates test strips, or salt test strips?
Next, What quantities of bleach, baking soda, and borax should be purchased for starters?
We have issues with bird droppings so I am planning on a solar cover. Will this be an issue?
Anything else that is needed?

Dave

Welcome to TFP!

If you haven't already, you should read the article on How To Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine in Pool School. See the large button near the top right of every page. You might also want to read through some of the conversion stories in the Baquacil section of this site.

Most of what you need to start with is a lot of chlorine. either bleach or liquid chlorine. I suggest doing a little price comparison shopping first, as a conversion will use 20 to 50 gallons. Other chemical needs depend on your initial water test results.

You can't use the solar cover during the conversion, but once the conversion is complete there won't be any problem using it.

You probably want to get the XL option, as you will likely go through the FAS-DPD chlorine reagents during the conversion. The magnetic stirrer is convenient, but not required.

In a day or two I am going to move this to the Baquacil - Use and Conversion section. I'm just warning you now so you will know what happened later.

Thanks for the info. I have done some reading on this topic, but I am more of the "learn by doing" type. I am planning on ordering the test kit and getting supplies this week. Next weekend open the pool and start the process. Feel free to move the thread at anytime.

Dave

Hi, Dave,

Welcome to the forum :lol:. Echoing what Jason said, the XL option will be helpful to you because you will use a lot of that XL chemistry and that's the best way to buy it.

If it turns out you get sparklypoolitis (like many of us) and get a little obsessed with having the most pristine pool in Kentucky, then the magnetic stirrer is a must!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just kidding! It is very helpful but something you can get at a later date.....ditto for the addition of borates. I don't think anyone should start BBB and add borates......I think it's much better to get a good understanding of your pool water chemistry and then make the borates decision.

Again, echoing Jason, shop price for liquid chlorine but hold on the other stuff until you get into Pool School and get a good grasp of everything. Most of your other adjustments will be made at the end of your conversion processs....not the beginning.

The conversion can take anywhere from a week to more than a month. Most commonly it seems to take about two weeks. There isn't any reliable way to predict just how long it will take. Dedicating two or three days at the start where you can check the pool every hour or so can speed things up significantly, but the later stages still take time even when you do that.

If you really want to capture everything on camera, a picture every four hours for the first few days, and daily after that is plenty.

Well the process has started. PH is OK and added the first bleach. I see what you mean about changing color. I mounted a webcam to take a picture every 5 minutes and I will see about a time lapse movie when finished.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 177

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do have some questions:

1. On my test kit it has a yellow side that has Cl Br on top. The numbers are .5 1, 1 2, 2 4, 3 6, 5 10. Is this percent chlorine or PPM?

2. After a few hours, the pump is clogged up and needing back washing. I don't want it "dead heading" at night so the plan is to turn it off. Is this OK?

3. Does it turn any other colors other than green?

Thanks,
Dave

1) The first number in each pair of numbers is PPM chlorine. Ignore the second number in each pair. That is used for the OTO chlorine test. It isn't very useful during the conversion. Later on you can use it for a quick chlorine/no chlorine check.

2) Backwash the pump throughly last thing this evening and I suspect it will be fine. You get some extra gunk going into the filter at first, but it usually tapers off early on the first day.

3) Colors vary. I have seen/heard of several other colors, but not everyone sees more than one, though seeing two or three is common enough.

I have found good prices at places like WalMart, Home Depot, and Lowes, though they are all inconsistent about keeping it in stock. Others have found good prices on the Internet. If you are in a hurry or have trouble finding it, every pool store should have some in stock.

Didn't see any at Walmart. I'll check out the other stores.
The chlorine was at 14ppm this morning and water nice and clear. Been vacuuming all weekend, but still needs a good cleaning - the type that can only be done while inside the pool. With the temp at 70, I don't know about that. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.