Blowing Line with CO2

PoolBoi

In The Industry
Dec 9, 2010
Hello again! I just took on a new pool that has something clogged in the line. I have been blown a line using CO2 but I want to learn. I have a CO2 tank that I use for off-roading. It's called a power tank. I can fully adjust the flow of co2 from the tank with the regulator.

My question is, what pressure do you guys blow line at? What exact procedure do you guys use to blow the line (exact steps).

Are you guys using a HydroFlush style bag with the fitting made to hook up to CO2 hose? Please give me some information!!

PoolBoi said:
Hello again! I just took on a new pool that has something clogged in the line. I have been blown a line using CO2 but I want to learn. I have a CO2 tank that I use for off-roading. It's called a power tank. I can fully adjust the flow of co2 from the tank with the regulator.

My question is, what pressure do you guys blow line at? What exact procedure do you guys use to blow the line (exact steps).

Are you guys using a HydroFlush style bag with the fitting made to hook up to CO2 hose? Please give me some information!!
Even with all of the leaves, fir cones, and fir needles here I have never needed to use co2 to unclog a line.

You would be better server using an old pump to blow water through them.

typically 50 psi is more than enough to move anything out of a line.

Okay, so about 50 pounds is the max. What kind of adapter do you guys use? By adapter I mean, what does the actual flush nozzle look like? Any pictures or links would be great.

Also, I plan to blow it from the pump inlet back to the skimmer. Anything else I should know? It's a commercial account so it has the dual drains on the deep end.

You're not getting many responses because this is the first time I've heard of using CO2 to blow out the lines so it's not a common practice.

If I were trying to come up with something I'd probably use a Drain King and a hose to NPT adapter to connect it to the CO2 hose.

I use C02 all the time to blow out lines... I don't use a regulator I slowly keep opening up the valve till it unclogs the line... I have been doing this for the last 18 years and never had a problem yet... Even all the other pool companies in my area use C02...

Sorry I forgot to add, we use a blow bag attached to a garden hose, the c02 has a hose attached to it.. Make sure you hold onto the garden hose and c02 hose when you are inflicting the line.. Do nit let the c02 line get away from you, you can get hurt extremely bad..

I just had TEXSUN pools out to do this very thing.
They used a CO2 cylinder with no regulator connected to 3 feet of polaris hose via hose clamps. Polaris hose attached to blow bag. He just barely and briefly cracked open the CO2 valve and it blew out the line. You will need a plug for skimmer if you have more than 1 skimmer. Worked great and so far I don't detect any damage to plumbing although I was nervous. Cost was very steep for 10 min of work at $150.

I think trying a Drain King with garden hose which is around 40-50 psi on city water would be worth a try also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.