Liquidator and Liquid Chlorine Sources

Noggin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 14, 2010
I just received my Liquidator from Pst Pool Supplies and wanted to ask a few questions about different chlorine sources I could use in it. I see it as a choice between three basic chlorine sources: Clorox, store brand, or pool store. I think I can narrow down my questions to 3.

1. Clorox vs Store Brands
When I first came here and read about BBB, I think I read something about store brands generally having lye added to the bleach, which affects pH more than the chlorox brand bleach would affect the pH. I also vaguely recall suggestions for a pool owner to stick with Clorox. However, I have read many recent posts (several from long term members and/or moderators) in which the usage of store brand is suggested. Is there a difference, as far as a swimming pool is concerned, about the difference between store brand and Clorox?

2. Pool Store Chlorine vs Clothing Bleach
My pool store sells Shock (yes, the name of the product is actually Shock!) in liquid form, 10% concentration. Once you take the concentration and volume into account, the 10% stuff from the pool store costs the same as the 6% Clorox from the supermarket. In an effort to support local business, I briefly switched over to the 10% stuff but switched back when I found that the bottles were significantly more likely to have chlorine on the outside of them. Is there any benefit to using the 10% Shock over 6% Clorox based on other additives in the chemical?

3. Chlorine Source in Liquidator
I imagine that it is OK to use either Clorox or the 10% stuff in my liquidator (please correct me if I'm wrong.) Am I correct in thinking that if I use the 10% Shock, I'll use a lower flow setting, refill less often, and have less salts fall out of solution in the liquidator (meaning cleaning less often)?

Now that I've typed all of this, it occurs to me that maybe... just maybe... I should actually open the box and see if there is a manual in there that covers all of this. However, this is information I have searched for on this forum, and perhaps it may help someone else to see a discussion on this before choosing if they want to use a liquidator or not.

I've had no issues using "store" brand when it comes to controlling ph. Just make sure the plain janes are giving you 6% or you KNOW what it is. I've seen them at 3%. Love to hear some updates as you get that "Poolinator" geared up.

The only major difference between different bleach/liquid chlorine sources is how much carrying you need to do and what they charge. Higher percentages also tend to spoil a little more quickly, but even 10% will last a couple of months, so this doesn't usually come up.

Usually your best yield is 12% from a reputable pool store (using recycled jugs, 4 gallons per case) my local pool store charges me around $18.00 per case or $4.50 a gallon.

Noggin said:
Is there a difference, as far as a swimming pool is concerned, about the difference between store brand and Clorox?

Is there any benefit to using the 10% Shock over 6% Clorox based on other additives in the chemical?

Am I correct in thinking that if I use the 10% Shock, I'll use a lower flow setting, refill less often, and have less salts fall out of solution in the liquidator (meaning cleaning less often)?
As others noted, just make sure the store brand is really 6% and that it is unscented. As for whether the higher level of excess lye is a problem or not, the difference isn't huge and most people don't find it too annoying. Generally speaking, the rise in pH from TA tends to dominate. Most people buy on price.

As for the pool store chlorinating liquid, in addition to the weight difference some stores will reuse the bottles which is better than recycling. My local pool store has 12.5% chlorinating liquid where they reuse the bottles and are a reasonable price so that's where I get my chlorine.

Yes, if you use a higher concentration, you'll probably need to use a lower flow setting and refill less often, but the salt fall out should be the same since that's in proportion to the chlorine content so pretty much the same per time since the chlorine usage per time is what matters for that salt buildup.

Thanks for the help and info everyone. The install went smoothly and easily. I think it took me longer to drive to the hardware store to buy a 3/8" drill bit than it took to install the liquidator. My pool store only has 10%, and doesn't recycle the bottles or refill them. There are a couple other pool stores in Austin, but they're out of the way. The pool store I go to is next to my gym and grocery store, so they'll likely be the ones to get my business.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.