Converting my AGP to a Salt water system

Jun 12, 2010
Levelland Texas
Hello....Some info leading up to my question: We did not cover our pool this winter because it does no good with the high winds of west texas that only tear the cover....therefore we will be draining and cleaning our pool before filling it back up. I am wanting to convert to an Intex Salt water generator.

My question is, (and I have read all of the pool school topics).....Will I need to "shock" the "new" pool water initially even after the SWG is set up? Or add other chemicals such as algaecide, clarifier, etc.???

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter!!

Once you startup the pool, you'll need to add bleach to bring the FC up to your target for your CYA level. Once you've done that, then you can let the SWG take over. Take a look at the SWG water balance article in Pool School, and you shouldn't have any problems. If you are planning on an Intex SWG, make sure you get the older model WITHOUT the copper ionizer, or if you can't find one, you can disconnect/remove the copper ionizer.

As long as you start adding chlorine by the first evening the pool is full, you won't have any need for shocking, clarifier, or algaecide. You will need to add chlorine manually for the first few days, until the salt and CYA levels are appropriate for the SWG and it can take over completely. And, as always, you will need to check/balance the PH and TA levels as needed.

Too much copper will build up over time and cause staining and green tint to hair. Once there is too much copper in the pool you either have to drain it or use sequesterant on a regular basis. It is much easier to avoid putting copper in the pool in the first place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a pic of the SWG unit I have found on Amazon.com.....

Can someone tell me what that piece off to the side is and how it will be used?

Still debating on ordering this unit....the seller/company has a 98% selling rating for the past twelve months....

Would anyone think this is a safe buy??

Thanks!!![attachment=0:3rtjhr6w]SWG 2011.jpg[/attachment:3rtjhr6w]

Attachments

• SWG 2011.jpg
    SWG 2011.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 143
That piece off to the side is the flow switch. It gets screwed on to the inlet side of the cell, which is the side without the hose connected in the picture you posted. The SWG in the pic is the one you want, without the copper ionizer and with the 24 gram/hour output. The newer models do have a couple of benefits, though. One is that they will not loose the programming if you have a power outage, but a small UPS can solve that problem. The second is that the electrolytic cell is made of clear plastic, so you can see if there is scale buildup on the plates, instead of taking it apart to check every now and then.

p.s. I voided the warranty on mine 5 minutes after I took it out of the box by cutting the copper plates off the ionizer :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.