Jun 24, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Hi all,
Looking for some suggestions for adding more privacy between our backyard and our neighbor's. They built a huge two story house on their lot and now it feels like we're swimming in a fishbowl with their second floor windows and balconies way up over the 6 foot privacy walls between our two properties. I did build a 10 foot high by 30 foot long trellis and we will be planting creeping vines to slowly grow up the lattice, so that part of the yard will be screened off, but I have about another 12 foot run that I can't build anything on because of the concrete decking. So, if anyone has any experience with setting up some sort of non-permanent screening, or any other ways to increase privacy, I'd really appreciate it. I've included a picture to give you an idea of what I mean. Thanks guys.
Jeff

Attachments

• Abby 008.jpg
    Abby 008.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 402
you can still attach another section of trellis to the decking rather easily (brackets & concrete anchors). custom build a planter along that run. then you could plant more vines, and some lower growing plants under them. you can stain or paint the planter to add an extra splash of color. just an idea.

Your neighbor probably doesn't like the current setting either. Perhaps ya'll could get together and plant something tall and not too big around like leyland cypress (if that grows in AZ) or something similar.

Share the property line if you have to.

It may not give total privacy but the softening effect to you both would be dramatic. A natural barrier would be pleasing from both sides and could be win-win.

I agree with Dave...If you can plant a fast-growing row of trees, such as poplar, along the fence line, it will look very nice and be quite effective. I don't know what the rules are in your neighborhood, but many have limitations on the height and placement of any structures or fences. Trees have no such limitations in my area.

The tree idea and, if there is no place for trees on your side of the fence or the neighbor does not want trees on his, then I vote for the pergola. They can have a lot of really nice things added to them such as plants or soft fabric woven through, etc., they also add shade and look great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.