Pool Equiment upgrade

leered

Mar 16, 2011
Hello,
We need to redo the pool ( equipment and surface) and after identifying the existing plumbing ( by cutting off pipes and blowing air through each one) – see attached diagram- we are faced with making connections for the new equipment.
Former setup: 1 WhisperFlo 1.5hp , 1 pump (Century) for pool cleaner, 1 pump (Purex) for spa jets, 2 mechanical clocks, filter (DE, broken), missing heater
New equipment: 1 Intelliflo 4x160 (3050), EasyTouch 4 + IC40, Sta-Rite SR400NA Max-E-Therm heater, Hayward C4025 filter
The challenge (one of them) is finding the best way to make the connections so that I can switch from Spa to Pool and back. The pool doesn’t normally get heated but I’d like to have the option to heat it up if needed ( most probably this should be done through a proper setup of the EasyTouch- to allow heater turn on , manually).
A friend of mine told me the 1” lines I have ( previously used by the booster pump for the pool cleaner) won’t be good enough for a suction or pressure side pool cleaner to work properly ( Poolvergnuegen 4x Suction Pool Cleaner or Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend II ). Is this true? If so, what are my options?
Another issue ( like there aren’t enough already) is the lights. I discovered that old pool & spa lights(both same size-pool) (Purex CHD Pool Star) are using 120V /500W standard socket bulbs and I could upgrade to LED-s like ColorSplash 3G easily. However, after buying new lens gaskets I noticed that the black seal at the bottom of the fixture ( around the bulb socket) is cracked and started melting due to sitting in the sun. The lights are working fine, so if the cracked black goo is not a problem and if I can find a place online to buy 1 (out of 6) faceplate screw, I could be saving about $600 or more. Are there any issues/ disadvantages, mostly form a safety perspective, with keeping the old fixtures? This is a ~10 years old pool. What is the life of a pool light?

Any advice is appreciated!Thanks in advance!

Lee

Attachments

• Plumbing_Diagram.jpg
    Plumbing_Diagram.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 248
Welcome to TFP!

A standard shared equipment setup is the simplest way to go. You can program the EasyTouch so it won't heat the pool unless you manually turn the heat on. There are some good plumbing diagrams on this page. The first one is a good place to start.

a 1" pipe is just fine for a booster pump driven presure side cleaner. It is marginal for pressure side cleaner running off the main pump. It is too small for a suction side cleaner.

I'm not sure about the light. Seeing a picture would help clarify things. The fixture should last longer than 10 years.

Thanks for the reply! I will take some pics as soon as I get home and will try to load them tonight. I am trying to take full advantage of the IntelliFlo and was hoping I won't have to use a booster pump for the cleaner. :) However that does explain the old setup with the small pump connected to the 1" pipes! :) By the way, I've heard of a Y installed at the skimmer. Will this should allow the suction side cleaner to run using the main pump while keeping the skimmer functional?

Lee

Attached are the old light fixtures. As I mentioned, the black "thing" started dripping only after I took them out from the niche and left them on the side of the pool. I protected them from the heat as soon as I noticed what happend. :) They are still working and I expect I should be able to clean them a little bit before installing them. Again, I am looking at installing new JJ CoolSplash 3G bulbs (standard Edison base).

The spa is flowing into the pool ....does this mean it has a waterfall ? Or does this depend on the plumbing of the equipment? If so, I need to look at the pool with waterfall diagram.

Thank you!

Lee

Attachments

• Pool&Spa.jpg
    Pool&Spa.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 174
  • SpaLight.jpg
    SpaLight.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 174
  • PoolLight.jpg
    PoolLight.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 174
What about the pool cleaner: what would be the best setup? Previously, the two 1 in lines were used by a Polaris pump ( and cleaner I assume, because I haven't seen it). Should I just plug the 1 in lines and use the skimmer (with TEE) with the intelliFlo for the cleaner? If I install a TEE at the skimmer, what pool cleaner ( with a bag) is best (price is important too!)

Will Pentair Legend II work with my 1 in lines?

http://www.poolplaza.com/P-LET-20-209.html

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Lee

I think any pressure-side cleaner designed to work with a booster pump would be OK with 1" lines...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Using a T at the skimmer is not the best of ideas, and no suction side cleaner will have a debris bag; it will all end up in your filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.