Custom skimmer lids? (Pic)

mx702

Aug 2, 2010
MA
Anyone know where I might be able to obtain a square version of this?

4975744958_7af5b994b0_b.jpg

Someone Put a lot of working in getting a square peg into a round hole.

You can make your own out of a square paver stone.

There is no need to have the plastic portions of the lid.

I know this is OT, but personaly I think the PB (pool or paver guy) did a nice job with that lid...yes it's noticable, but heck after a few brewski's I'd probably had pulled up the entire patio before I found the lid that looks like the rest of the pavers :lol:

bk406 said:
Have you picked your pavers yet? That skimmer lid is usually the last thing. FWIW, most dont do anything like that.
Yes, I have. Same as what is used in that pic of the custom lid I posted. Blu 60 by Techo-bloc. I do not expect the installer to make the lid, I plan on doing it myself. I just need the right product. Basically what I need is something like what JoshU suggested, only square:

10inSkimmerCover_325x325.jpg

racket said:
You can make your own out of a square paver stone.

There is no need to have the plastic portions of the lid.

That might be an option, too. So just cut the paver to fit in place of the lid?

Not sure if I understand what you are going for? BTW, I think that looks great and the pool guy can find the skimmer. Make it square like a paver, and he is going to charge overtime for finding the skimmer every trip.

Is the skimmer port not round all the way to the top and designed only for a round lid? I guess if its not flush (like my round one), you could just use a paver with an aluminum or stainless back plate on it. This suggestion would work for those type skimmer lids that go down into wood decks and protrude down and are not flush. If yours is that way, who needs a lid under the paver?

I know Hayward used to make square lids as my older pool has one. The skimmer is round and comes up a round tube, but when it gets two inches from the top, it flares out from round into a square that is just slightly larger then the tube diameter. The lid is flat and fits into the square recess.

mx702 said:
That might be an option, too. So just cut the paver to fit in place of the lid?
]

Yes, it makes it look nice, and you can cut a couple in case one gets broken.

You only have to tell the pool guy where it is once. Then again, they should be smart enough to find it based on the location of the skimmer throat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BigJD said:
mx - did you ever do this skimmer lid? I ask because I am about to pull the trigger on BLU 60 myself

I did not. I couldn't locate a recessed lid to fit the square skimmer throat the builder used. I did order a couple grey skimmer lids from Hayward that blend in with my pavers somewhat.

I am wondering if you push the throat low enough could you use the lip to support a square paver cut to fit? The other othion is to get a thin piece of bluestone, cut and drill it ... same effect only thinner

iPhone said:
I know Hayward used to make square lids as my older pool has one. The skimmer is round and comes up a round tube, but when it gets two inches from the top, it flares out from round into a square that is just slightly larger then the tube diameter. The lid is flat and fits into the square recess.
Hayward still does this. I'm having one installed that is exactly as you described. I wanted a pour-a-lid but they don't make them square.

I'm thinking I could make a form and pour a new lid when they pour my deck, but it would have to be an exact replica of the square lid, which mean the outer most edge of the lid would be very thin like 1/4" or less, i need to measure.

To make the form i was thinking sand mixed with elmers glue in a box, cover lid with aluminum foil, press lid into sand, let dry. Then remove lid, recover with aluminum foil, fill with concrete, float it, brush it (have the concrete guys do that)....they can stick a wood dowel in it for finger hole.

I'm just not sure it would be strong enough....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.