Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning Cartridge Filter- 1st Time

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning Cartridge Filter- 1st Time

I need to clean my cartridge filter for the first time and am wondering if there are any best practices I need to follow other than those stated in the manual. I do have a concern that I do not have inlet and return valves. The only valves available are those that direct the water to the pool or spa returns. In one position, the water goes to the pool, and in the other, to the spa. How do you deal with the water as it drains from the filter? As I'm freaking out, any advice is appreciated.

20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

2. Back To Top    #2
    It shouldn't be particularly difficult.

Keep the pump turned off the entire time. Open the valve on top of the filter and let air into the filter for a little while before opening it. Let the water drain out where it may, it won't hurt anything. Be sure there isn't any dirt or debris on the seal when you are closing the filter up. Check the manual for the filter, most of them want a little non-petroleum lubricant on the seal just before closing up. Then when everything is put back together, and with the pump running, again let the air out of the filter with the valve on the top and close it as soon as water comes out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School